Drive Shaft

With the SS being AWD I was wondering if the front drive shaft could be disconnected and all the internal parts still recieve lubrication. With it disconnected it would allow for better gas milage and the back wheels could finally spin. What do ya'll think? :banghead:

Truckin05 :driving:

I don't think that it does. :confused: However, I have spoken to a most trusted GM tech. at a dealer I have bought cars from for almost 20 yrs. and he said that it could be done. But I wanted to get ya'lls thoughts on it. Thank you for your help. :flag:

Truckin05 :driving:

Like ^^^ said...look around for the threads on "how to dyno your SS"...few guys have disconnected the front shaft, and needed new transfer cases after a couple donuts in the parking lot. Others have dyno'd numerous times (never driven on the street) in 2WD mode, and don't have issues.

- Brian

when i was having frount diff. problems the dealer took the frount shaft out to test drive it. i have had NO issues with it. gm. rep. also stated there would be none. but if you jump on it hard it's toast...as for dynoing it i belive if you ease into it you'll be all fight, but see who here has dynoed with no issues and see what they did...

:seeya:

Dyno- ing and doing burnouts/driving very far are all very different. I would guess that a dyno run is less than 1.5 miles each time. Burnouts is just crazy. Driving it around in 2wd all the time is just asking for it - eventually.

Trade it in for a 2wd, or pay the price.

Archived