Origin of the C3

Big O

sure....it's an anniversary truck. Limited production (est. less then 4K units), considered by GMC as an "option" and not a seperate model (though it really was), and the first full size AWD truck. The C3 "option" was only available one way...loaded. Two additonal options available...choice of body colored running boards or chrome step bars, and an engine heater...that's it. Came with 325hp LQ4, NVG-149 viscous unit AWD, 4L60-EHD, 3.73's with rear locker, HD cooling, HD rear brakes, etc. Exterior colors were black, polo green and pewter. Interior was either tu-tone gray or tan.

it was GMC's 100th year...thus the "C". the 3 represents 3 qualities in the truck like control (AWD), comfort (Denali pkg), capability (1787/8700 payload/tow)....or something along those lines.

The '02 model added quadrasteer, 4.10's, and they changed the name to Sierra Denali.

you can find more info in the documents section at denalitrucks.com.

Yeah that is what I had heard ... I just didn't think GM (or cars for that matter) has been around for 100 years (century) ... I guess that was what had me confused.

Model T's were back in 1908 or something weren't they? I thought it was the first vehicle mass produced ... as most of you can tell I am not a real big history buff.

Thanks for the answers!!

rock on :driving:

here's the spec sheet on the C3:

C3 specs

earliest reference I can find for GMC is from 1902 so maybe they jumped the gone by a year? :lol:

here's a quote from GMC:

“GMC has been a truck innovator for nearly 100 years, and the Sierra C³ continues that tradition as a totally exclusive new entry,” said Jim Kornas, Sierra Brand Manager. “Intriguing new technologies and an exclusive level of on-road control and performance give this vehicle an unprecedented character in the half-ton extended cab full size pickup segment.”

Yeah that is what I had heard ... I just didn't think GM (or cars for that matter) has been around for 100 years (century) ... I guess that was what had me confused.

Model T's were back in 1908 or something weren't they?  I thought it was the first vehicle mass produced ... as most of you can tell I am not a real big history buff.

Thanks for the answers!!

rock on  :driving:

I know there were cars in the late 1800's because I saw this documentary on Damlier-Benz and they had a model that the US President (look up who) rode in.

this page shows olds coming out in 1897.

GM history

and appears GMC started as Rapid in 1905

GMC

shows they built their first truck in 1900, and started to company in 1902.

and here's why GMC considers '02 their 100th year:

"GMC marked their 100th anniversary in 2002 because of the trucks produced by the Rapid Motor Vehicle Company in 2002."

So I guess the C3 was a year early?

this page shows olds coming out in 1897.

GM history

and appears GMC started as Rapid in 1905

GMC

shows they built their first truck in 1900, and started to company in 1902.

and here's why GMC considers '02 their 100th year:

"GMC marked their 100th anniversary in 2002 because of the trucks produced by the Rapid Motor Vehicle Company in 2002."

So I guess the C3 was a year early?

lol .... well at least I don't feel so bad about being confused now ... thanks for the info guys ... :thumbs:

Archived