calling anyone with ASM headders

Xero

i have ASM (arizona speed and marine) headders sitting here begging to be installed, but i need to know of any tips tricks problems, extras i should buy. i have been told by quite a few people that i should get lead gaskets for the collector, do i need them? are the glass ones that come with the kit ok? what about bolting the kit up? should i go use some straight 8 or super 8 or what ever the brand name is, that dont unlock? or are the stockers fine? ANY information would be so very helpful

thanks again guys :thumbs:

nick

p.s. if i can get enough info from you guys to do this install smoothly ill be making a how to on installing these bad boys.

Can't advise you on the collector gasket - but:

On the header flange bolts, they back-out because the header gasket relaxes during its first few heating/cooling cycles. You have to 'chase' the bolts several times (re-torque) until the gasket has gotten as thin as it is going to go. The bolts are not backing-out, rather the gasket is getting thinner as it is settling-in and getting squished from the expansion forces of the parts (head flange vs. header flange).

If you use locking header bolts without retorqing what will happen is that the bolts will stay however the gasket will get thinner and a small leak will start, soon after that the gasket will outright fail; paper/steel/copper does not matter. The worst part is that when an exhaust gasket has failed it usually seems the head and header both warp at that spot, and you'll never be able to hold a gasket there again, even after resurfacing (experience talking here). Anyway, always re-torque header gaskets!

Mr. P. :)

Don't use the collector gaskets they send with it. Get a set of copper ones. I blew out the ones they sent in about a week. The other gasket should be the same ones GM uses on all stock motors.

I would suggest using copper collector gaskets and get some stainless steel bolts for them too. I have had a hard time with the bolts that came with it rusting and breaking. I have had a bad experience with ASM any way.

I would suggest using copper collector gaskets and get some stainless steel bolts for them too.  I have had a hard time with the bolts that came with it rusting and breaking.  I have had a bad experience with ASM any way.

Yeah anti-sieze is a definite must-do. Did the headers not perform well, or was the fit-up the issue?

Mr. P. :)

I used stage 8 locking bolts and didn't retorque them and haven't had any problems with exhaust leaks. I used the stock GM metal gaskets too. I had to do this because once the Whipple is installed you can't access the passenger side header any more even through the fender. I like the locking bolts; well worth the money.

Archived