Torque Converter

I have seen some talk of people changing converters. I have done higher stall converters on heavy cars before (Impala SS, 454SS) and love the drag strip results. But, IMHO the around town drivability can suffer. Gas mileage drops, more revs to get the truck rolling, and higher trans temps. There is a price for the performance gains, don't be too greedy on the amount of stall without knowing this.

Agreed, I saw a 50 degree jump in trans temp on my Mustang. Picked up 3 tenths on the quarter though. Trans brakes fall into this category also. They are awesome for the drag strip however do some damage on the tranny. I could watch my trans temp climb about 15 degrees for every second I held the T-brake. A high stall converter and a transbrake on my modified mustang got me .7 on the 1/4. :thumbs: however my PA built AOD died in 10,000 miles. Thats the price of mods IMO

You cant just say all torque converters will destroy driveability, as long as it is done right, your trans will still run cool. Yes, the higher you go, the more your gas mileage will die, but it still isnt that bad because they still have the torque converter lockup. so once it locks up, it is the same as the stock converter.

A torque converter on an AWD truck will make a huge difference, more than any intake exhaust chip combo will

My Yank 2800 installed by Lingenfelter has not created any driveability problems at all. I won't claim any knowledge about longevity, but I do know how the truck felt before and after the install; very little (if any) difference in normal driving, one heck of a kick when I punch it. I suppose the key lies in LPEZR1's statement, "don't be too greedy on the amount of stall."

You cant just say all torque converters will destroy driveability, as long as it is done right, your trans will still run cool. Yes, the higher you go, the more your gas mileage will die, but it still isnt that bad because they still have the torque converter lockup. so once it locks up, it is the same as the stock converter.

A torque converter on an AWD truck will make a huge difference, more than any intake exhaust chip combo will

Hey, I love converter mods!...AND will do one in the near future. The SS has a tranny cooler on it which will help tremendously with the temp. I have little concern with a converter mod to the SS. :thumbs:

I will have to disagree with your statement on the intake/exhaust/PCM mod being less of a performance gain than just a converter. I can say I have seen a .5-.6 (no weight reductions) gain in the quarter with the aforementioned mods only (mass air instead of PCM). Having just a converter doing that will be very impressive.

Although bang for the buck, a converter will be a nice addition...even better if you do the install yourself! :thumbs: As we start modding our trucks I believe we will see that certain combos will produce bigger gains together than if done separate and compared...SYNERGY

I really appreciate all the info, I keep makin a list and chekin' it twice. After some posts I scratch off parts and ad others to the list, the jury is still out for a torque converter for me though.

I do have a question:

Will an after market torque converter void my factory warranty if the tyranny was to take a dump on me?

:cheers:

GREAT INFO FOR SOME OF US NEWBIES GUYS! GOOD TOPIC BEN. I THNK THAT WITHT THE COLLING UNIT IN OUT TRUCKS THAT IT MIGHT BE SOMETHING THAT I WOULD BE INTRESTES IN DOING. WOULD LIKE TO SEE SOME #'S FROM INSTALLS AND COBINATIONWITH OTHER ADD ONS BEFORE I GO AHEAD THOUGH. :thumbs:

R/

VMAN

I will say this about bolt on parts and other mods. Most things will make very little difference in the actual speed of the truck and track results. Put them all together, and it adds up pretty well. But, headers, or a cat back, or intake, or tuning, or pulleys, or cam, or.... will make very little difference at the track. Maybe 1 tenth (or 2) each. BUT, a torque converter could take 5 tenths off easily. After a supercharger or nitrous, this mod will make the biggest difference in performance.

The more aggressive stall you have, the more you compromise your in-city ride quality. A small stall, like the Yank 2600 (what schklege has and LPE calls a 2800) wont change the drivability much at all, but could drop you 1/4 mile by 4 tenths. A larger stall will be less fun to drive in traffic (more wasted rpms), but make an even bigger difference in the 1/4 mile.

I had a Yank 3000 in my 1999 excab Z71. I drove in traffic often, and it wasn't too bad. It took away that cruiser feel and made it more aggressive. Since the SS will have more power than my 99 did (and the stall will feel larger), I am going to run a Yank 2600 in my SS. I sold my 3000 and shipped it off today as a matter of fact. Hopefully, I can have the 2600 installed within a month.

Oh yeah, I installed my Yank 3000 (with a new trans) myself. I did it in my garage with common hand tools and a jack. It was a pain in the butt. It took most of the spare time I had in a weekend. Its a pain messing with the transfer case and all the accessories that have to come out to allow you in. When I sold the truck, I paid a transmission shop $250 to have the trans and converter swapped. I have also paid a dealer service dept $250 for the same thing on a different vehicle. This was a cash in hand, off the record kind of deal.

Towing is also a concern with a higher stall. Love to hear from people like Schklege that have done a converter in the SS. Wonder how the Yank 2600/2800 converters would act under towing loads. Suppose the weight of the load could make a big difference.

Archived