Polly filling

BmanSS

My opinion here - properly stuffing a box can make the woofer 'believe' it is in a 10% larger box; as small as the underseat area is (especially for 12s) yes I would seriously check into it.

Mr. P.

I have type R 12's in my truck, under the seat. They fire down twards the floor. My box as most here is part mdf, and part fiberglass. I did not have to raise my seat height but, I did have to add polyfil to the box to get the size.

• 2 months later...
I added it my boxes and it dropped its peak spl frequency from 58db to 52db and increased my spl from 136.5 to 138.7

Mics love the higher freq. but since your box is firing into the floor, this will act as a loading wall for the sub, make sure you give the sub lots of room to breath, because sometimes polly fill can me your coils burn out from the stress, but if your not worried about that go ahead and do it, the bass will sound real tight (not "tight!"). My opinion is to load up the box with polly fill it will dampen the notes and make the duration last a little longer.

I was wondering about this too. How much polyfill to use? Should it be stuffed in there from the floor to the subs, or just lining the enclosure, or about half, or what? Please help, 'cause my soundshop added some polyfill after I asked about it (seemed like they were just trying to appease me instead of actually having an opinion about whether or not it helps), and it actually sounded WORSE! My lows weren't as low, and it didn't seem to hit as hard. I removed the crap myself, and when I opened up the enclosure, it was SOOOO much in there, that I had a hard time removing it all. I mean, it was just stuffed in there, seemingly "choking" my subs. Is that even possible? I don't know, I'm thinking about adding some of it back in there, but I just don't know how much. Yeah, I guess I could experiment, but I'd like to know what's the right way to do it. Please Help. Thanx!

I was wondering about this too.  How much polyfill to use?  Should it be stuffed in there from the floor to the subs, or just lining the enclosure, or about half, or what?  Please help, 'cause my soundshop added some polyfill after I asked about it (seemed like they were just trying to appease me instead of actually having an opinion about whether or not it helps), and it actually sounded WORSE!  My lows weren't as low, and it didn't seem to hit as hard.  I removed the crap myself, and when I opened up the enclosure, it was SOOOO much in there, that I had a hard time removing it all.  I mean, it was just stuffed in there, seemingly "choking" my subs.  Is that even possible?  I don't know, I'm thinking about adding some of it back in there, but I just don't know how much.  Yeah, I guess I could experiment, but I'd like to know what's the right way to do it.  Please Help.  Thanx!

I would say try not to fill it all the way so the sub has a hard time fiting, leave a little bit so the sub could actually breath, but never use polly fill in a ported box it will defeat the whole point of having a port.

Archived