garage floor coating???

big hack

I'm building a new home and want to put a nice coating on the floor. Something that looks good but is durable. However, I do not have a clue about what product to use and there are a lot of different ones on the market. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Epoxy is very good as a base coat. I'd recommend a urethane on top of it.

I own a coating company and while our primary customers are in health care we use Tennant Company Products. The stuff you get a Lowes and Home Depot is weighted toward ease of application vs. giving you the best floor for your $$$

Tennant Company Floor Coating Products

If you decide to go that route PM me and I can get you set up. Or you can do really cool stuff with color integrated, modified acrylic cement. But you need some cement finishing in your back ground to work with it. You can still do logo's and such with regular coatings too...

Good Luck

The building where our office is used Sherwin Williams 2-part floor expoxy and was awesome for about 8 months. It's been 5 years now and still looks pretty good but not so sure how it would hold up against a floor jack or stands. Or maybe the stuff they used was cheap? :dunno:

www.racedeck.com :thumbs:

I saw their site the other day when I was looking for an epoxy for my garage. I keep meaning to get a quote from them but I haven't gotten around to measuring the space I want it for yet. I take it you have it... any pics?

I recently built a house with a 900 ft2 garage and did an epoxy floor coating by UCOATIT. I went with the light grey with black/silver/white vinyl flecks (UFLEC). I got a little silly and had a carbon fiber SS logo cut out that is 36 inches and incorporated it into the base coat. Looks awesome! I really need to take some pics for ya. The whole process took me alone an entire week to complete. I temperature and humidity controlled the garage as well. It was expensive for all of the items needed ($800) but it was a complete kit and the directions were great. Even send you a video.

Here is the rundown:

1. Broom clean and hose out the area to be coated.

2. Etch the floor with Muranic acid

3. Rinse and nutralize the floor.

- fill cracks if needed with UPATCH

4. Mix a 3 part base coat and apply to a wet floor. The mixture hardens in the bucket within 1 hour....work FAST.

5. Sprinkle AL oxide traction grit

6. Do 2nd 3 part color coat over dry surface and add the vinyl flecs and decals

7. Do the top gloss coat 2X.

I could send you the video if you wanted, hell if you are in the area I could help you out. :thumbs:

I recently built a house with a 900 ft2 garage and did an epoxy floor coating by UCOATIT.  I went with the light grey with black/silver/white vinyl flecks (UFLEC).  I got a little silly and had a carbon fiber SS logo cut out that is 36 inches and incorporated it into the base coat.  Looks awesome!  I really need to take some pics for ya.  The whole process took me alone an entire week to complete.  I temperature and humidity controlled the garage as well.  It was expensive for all of the items needed ($800) but it was a complete kit and the directions were great.  Even send you a video.

Here is the rundown:

1.  Broom clean and hose out the area to be coated.

2.  Etch the floor with Muranic acid

3.  Rinse and nutralize the floor.

- fill cracks if needed with UPATCH

4.  Mix a 3 part base coat and apply to a wet floor.  The mixture hardens in the bucket within 1 hour....work FAST.

5.  Sprinkle AL oxide traction grit

6.  Do 2nd 3 part color coat over dry surface and add the vinyl flecs and decals

7.  Do the top gloss coat 2X.

I could send you the video if you wanted, hell if you are in the area I could help you out.  :thumbs:

Lot of info to digest. I appreciate your offer Krambo .. :thumbs: Lowe's and Home Depot would be about $150, UCOATIT would be about $500 and I e-mailed RACEDECK but haven't received an answer yet. MN c5 owns a company that does this work and I am going to PM him about the cost. I sure would like to see a picture of the floor of your garage, everyone else would too, I'm sure. I'll PM you about the video..many thanks to all that answered, I didn't know there were this many options.

Epoxy is very good as a base coat. I'd recommend a urethane on top of it.

I own a coating company and while our primary customers are in health care we use Tennant Company Products.  The stuff you get a Lowes and Home Depot is weighted toward ease of application vs. giving you the best floor for your $$$

Tennant Company Floor Coating Products

If you decide to go that route PM me and I can get you set up.  Or you can do really cool stuff with color integrated, modified acrylic cement.  But you need some cement finishing in your back ground to work with it.  You can still do logo's and such with regular coatings too...

Good Luck

The Chevy dealer I used to work at used the Tennant floor paint... stuff was awesome! Never chipped, peeled, or anything, and being a dealer we were pretty hard on it too - constant vehicle traffic, etc. Every couple years they would have another coat put on just to keep the shiny look going.

By the way, if you are considering the Rustoleum kit, I have used it before - it will take 2 kits (or more) to do a two-car garage. When it dries, even if you followed the directions to the letter, you will see every brush/roller stroke you made. I was thinking of putting a second coat on, but that would have meant buying 2 more kits.

Archived