Well, I finally ordered it!

r8rs4lf

Been debating this for a while now, but I feel now I'm going to need it with all the events coming up like tailgating at the USC games, Ensenada trip, etc. The rear of my truck bangs pretty hard when I have a full tank and go over a big bump in the road :banghead: so hopefully this will take care of it. The only thing I'm concerned about is the sway bars I ordered through Tom. I talked to him and he said I shouldn't have any problems with installing both although he hasn't tried it himself. I guess I'll be the pig to try it out first. There was a pretty good installation article in the August issue of Street Truck Magazine.

I'll do a full write up and pics when I get it installed, should be this weekend.

HERE IS THE KIT!

Late- Alex

I just put mine on the other day, it was not too hard. I also will be putting on the sway bars. I did not see any reason why they would be in the way or anything like that. If ya need any help on the bags let me know. Good luck on them. :cool:

Just a word of advise on those lower brackets... They need to be braced I would highly recommend taking them to someone who can do some sort of weld on bracing to that strap from where the bottom of the bag actually mounts. I have seen it many times that strap gets just a little bit of flex in it going over bumps when the truck rebounds it actually pulls the bracket off of the leaf spring. It's not very much flex and it will take a while but eventually they will crack right next to that strap and where the bag mounts.

Just a word of advise on those lower brackets... They need to be braced I would highly recommend taking them to someone who can do some sort of weld on bracing to that strap from where the bottom of the bag actually mounts. I have seen it many times that strap gets just a little bit of flex in it going over bumps when the truck rebounds it actually pulls the bracket off of the leaf spring. It's not very much flex and it will take a while but eventually they will crack right next to that strap and where the bag mounts.

According to the write up article, it says the lower bracket mounts between the axle and the springs, but in the pics it looks like it just sits on top of the spring. I can't see how that works, but that's what it said.

Hey WEEZARR1&SS,

Can you shed some light on this lower bracket? Where it mounts, etc?? How about some pics???

Late- Alex

Note: always keep at least a couple of pounds of air in them to keep them from moving around, or you can rub a hole in the bag. I have had the goodyear kit for a year now and love it.

Wiz

According to the write up article, it says the lower bracket mounts between the axle and the springs, but in the pics it looks like it just sits on top of the spring. I can't see how that works, but that's what it said.

Hey WEEZARR1&SS,

Can you shed some light on this lower bracket? Where it mounts, etc?? How about some pics???

Late- Alex

It mounts between the spring and the rearend (on top of the spring)

I saw how it mounted because I got the kit today to my surprise. :thumbs: It looks like a very nice kit. I actually placed the bag on top of the springs to see if there would be any interference between the frame and the 305/40/22 tires. There is about a 1/2" between both as it sits, so it looks like a go for this weekend. The bags should actually get thinner and taller with air right? 285/40/22's would give a little more room. 22" X 10" rims should fit with this kit as well because most of the guys I see with that size rim are running the same size tires as me. My rims are 22" X 8.5" with a 5.5" backspacing I believe.

Jon

I saw what you meant about bracing that lower bag bracket, but that whole thing just about sits flat on the spring so it looks like very minimal flex if any to the bracket. Maybe add some metal and box it all up if anything, but that would create alot of heat in a small area wouldn't it? Hopefully McGaughy's figured it out right!

107931652.jpg

107930765.jpg

107930770.jpg

:thumbs: to McGaughy's for great service and fast shipping again!

Late- Alex

Yes you have the right idea there Alex. These brackets have those tabs that hang down the sides of the spring. Do the tabs hang down past the bottom of the spring and if so how far it there is enough to run even a 1/4" dia. bolt from one tab to the next with a lock nut just to keep it from pulling off the spring on rebound. Even if it sits perfectly flat on the spring and all looks good it will still tend to pull up a bit kinda like a diving board and will break where that bend is. If those tabs arent long enough I would extend them or come up with a way to capture the bottom of the spring.

772146_203_full.jpg

I hope this helps a little if you are serious about preventing breakage and leave it slightly lose so it doesn't cause binding with the leaf spring but will prevent breakage.

Ahhhhh, I see what your talking about now. I'll look into that. I don't think the tabs hang down past the leaves far enough to mock up something like that, but I'm not sure. What about tack welding something like that in a few spots to the lower bracket? Would that hold up better than screws?

Late- Alex

Ahhhhh, I see what your talking about now. I'll look into that. I don't think the tabs hang down past the leaves far enough to mock up something like that, but I'm not sure. What about tack welding something like that in a few spots to the lower bracket? Would that hold up better than screws?

Late-  Alex

That could be done as well but I think screws would work just fine they won't really see any stress and much cleaner than tacks.

Archived