Another ebay scam

Dylan06SS

Got an e-mail from "ebay" with a link that said my account would be terminated if I didn't update my info... seems plausible b/c I haven't used my ebay account in a couple of years.

So the link takes me to a page that looks legit, but the IP address doesn't say ebay anywhere in it... just a numeric IP

I don't really even remember my login for ebay so I tried something I thought was right and it worked... it took me to a page that asked for my debit/credit card info and my ATM pin#. At this point I knew something was wrong so I went back to the previous page and typed in random info... like

username: thisisascam

password: whydoyouwantmypin?

SHOCKER!! It let me log into that page using anything as a username and password. I've already reported it to ebay, but it worries me that this is out there b/c I'm sure a ton of people fell for it... just a heads up for anyone who uses ebay... the link is below if you're curious.

http://219.141.41.39/.../e3b/

I did the same thing you did about a year ago. It doesn't just stop with ebay, they do it for banks also. It's called "phishing." I've also seen it for citibank back when I had one of their cards. Navy Federal CU, my bank, has had their site duplicated - looked just like the page you get into your account via internet banking - didn't last long, but can happen.

That's a pisser being duped like that - I did that too about 3 months ago, first time in YEARS and the instant I hit the Enter key I knew I'd just done something completely brainless. I immediately logged in to eBay and changed my password, kicking myself the entire time...

Mr. P.

If you ever get an email saying your paypal or ebay account is being suspended or terminated. close email and goto ebay or paypal directly and if there is a problem it will be on your messages.

Ebay will never ask for pin or passwords.

The internet has never been a safe place. It is hard for me to even buy anything online any more because of A holes like these.

Down here in the Keys we are very limited to what type of stores we have here. So I usually go online to buy things that are WAY cheaper than they are here.

They should be SHOT :mad::mad:

I do tech support and you would not beleave how many people call or write in about these scams. The sad part is so many of the people who get the spam messages think it's real. I've had people call before saying paypal sent them a email to update their stuff but Norton will not let them open the file attachment. I'ts just amazing how dumb people STILL are these days.

i get that e-mail kind of alot, the one thing i noticed is the link that it has for you to click on does not work.

not to long ago i bid on some rims and tires and the day after i sent the money i received an email that the auction was closed by ebay and so was the sellers acount. i almost pooped myself. but paypal had my money back in a few days. that was a releif.

Archived