How to cut a 2 1/16" hole in plastic

TBSS

I am using the stock cubby to mount a gauge. I've found a suitable source for the plastic stock to cover the cubby on which to mount the gauge - a black trash can from Office Depot. It's a perfect match color-wise, and most importantly, texture-wise :D

Cutting the square out of the trash can with my Dremel to mount on the cubby, I noticed the plastic melted. What would be a good way to cut the hole in the plastic for the gauge? Hole saw? (Do they even make one that size?) Cut a Dremel hole smaller than I need, then use one of the cylindrical sandpaper attachments to take it to size?

:withstupid: Using a 2" hole saw is the best way to do it and they usually have a bit of play in them any ways and cut slightly oversized so the gauge may fit with out sanding it to 2 1/16" Just a note figure out exactly where you want the hole and cut it from the back side of the plastic because the hole saw will most likely walk a bit in the plastic and leave scratches where you would see them if you were to do it from the front.

Thanks for the great tips. Now all I have to do is borrow a 2" hole saw from someone (I hate to buy one just for this one cut).

What I usually do when cutting plastic is hold it flat on a piece of wood....this time, maybe I'll hold it flat on a piece of wood, upside down, with the drill reversed. :D

Archived