Interested in sending money?

BenKey

Not necessarily a site sponsored thing like we did for Jeff.

Not sure if you guys have been watching CNN or local news, but it makes me realize that we all have so much to be thankful for. When hurricane Ivan came through the Pensacola area, the devastation was more than I could have ever imagined in some places. I helped a friend clean out his house because he took 5' of water inside of it. Luckily his family was not in there. I also toured the rest of the neighborhood and the closer you got to the water, things progressively got worse. Entire houses gone. Nothing but stilts left, or just a slab. Myself and a couple of others from work helped him for about five days. The place looked like the aftermath of what you would think war would look like.

What surprised me was what the Red Cross was doing. They were going around in trucks that looked similar to a lunch wagon on a construction site, and giving all the people that lost their homes food and water as they worked trying to figure out what had to go and what could be kept. They did it twice a day. It just really made me feel good that some of the occasional donations I had given over the years maybe really did do something.

We ended up helping quite a few through the neighborhood. Mostly they were older people that had retired in the community and had lost everything - nearly. I was affected by it so much that I couldn't find the heart to even call my insurance company to claim the minor damage on my house and ended up doing all the repairs to my roof, fence, and siding myself. They had much bigger things to worry about with the people that really needed help.

Looking at these people would just break your heart. These were not hard-headed people that didn't leave, these were people who had come in after the storm to see what they had left.

I have watched the coverage of what hurricane Katrina did quite a bit. Anyone see the man who lost his wife to the rising waters? The one where he said that she told him, "you can't hold on to me anymore, take care of the kids and the grandkids," and he had to let her go? The reporter was wiping her eyes as she spoke with him.

I can't even imagine for just one second what he must have felt like?? It would be like something you see only in movies. We complain about what it did to gas prices, but don't really stop to think about the people and what they are going through, and how many that have already died. Gas prices are the least of their worries. Being homeless is something I hope that I, my family, and even all of you ever have to deal with. Having seen just a few that have lost everything, sure makes it harder to be unhappy about all that you do have. Not to mention when you hear all the stories, like tonight, of all the children that have been found dead. They didn't have any part in the decision to stay behind as their knucklehead parents did.

Just something to think about. I plan to donate some money to the Red Cross, because I know first hand they do really good work in these types of cases. I would encourage others to do the same.

If this thread bothers anyone let me know.

Just think if every individual around the U.S would just donate 2$, that would end up being allot of money to help out. My step dad is head manager of the Mid-West Coca Cola bottling company, and said that Coke is donating 7 million. That is very nice and generous.

The company my wife works for always donates to Red Cross or sometimes United Way under these circumstances and typically doubles or even triples their employee's donations - it's a great way to make your donation go further.

Please look into it at your employers. We all gotta help these people, and this isn't just New Orleans - large parts of Mississippi and Alabama need help right away too!!

at out work, we have about 110 people, and we are all giving 25 dollars each to go to the red cross fund. Everything helps!! Start one up at your jobs!!

Where doing the same thing by my job to. I work for Con Ed and they sent 30 men down there to help out with power down there. I spoke to my boss and me and my partner might be heading down there next week.

Thats why i am a proud volunteer fireman! I have always had a place in my heart for people that have had bad luck or lost all there things even things that are secred to their heart I feel for them people. I was going to go to the cleaan up of 9/11 but some poeple from my fire hall had already went.

Archived