Problem with new fans

ctrow

Just got finished installing the Flex-a-lite 282 fans and they stay on all the time. I thought they would stay off until the temp got high enough to turn them on. It's summer so I'm not too worried about it but come winter it'll be a problem. Anyone have any ideas on what it might be?

I've triple checked to make sure all the wires are connected correctly. The only thing that is not hooked up is the manual switch because I don't plan on using it.

Other than that they look good and are high quality. Pictures to come. :thumbs:

As I understand the online installation instructions for the Flex-a-lite 282 and after reviewing the HVAC wiring diagram for the SS...you should splice into circuit 59 terminal B (dark green wire) of the A/C compressor connector and connect this wire to terminal 8 of the fan VSC unit and make NO connection to VSC terminal 7. If you connect terminal 7 of the VSC unit to circuit 550, terminal A (black wire) of the A/C compressor connector.....the fans would run continuously due to grounded circuit being "read" as A/C on.

sshvaccomp.jpg

If all wiring is correct and A/C compressor is off.....that should only leave a defective thermostat or VSC unit as a reason for "fans to run all the time"

I am just about ready to order the Flex-a-lite 282 fan kit and would like to know how the installation went. Does the kit really "bolt on" or do you have to fabricate mounting? Does it look professional when finished? Do you have an answer yet on the "fans running all the time"? Thanks in advance for the information and I am anxiously awaiting your pictures.

Just got finished installing the Flex-a-lite 282 fans and they stay on all the time. I thought they would stay off until the temp got high enough to turn them on. It's summer so I'm not too worried about it but come winter it'll be a problem. Anyone have any ideas on what it might be?

I've triple checked to make sure all the wires are connected correctly. The only thing that is not hooked up is the manual switch because I don't plan on using it.

Other than that they look good and are high quality. Pictures to come. :thumbs:

ctrow,

Hope you find the problem, things like that drive me bananas :smash:

Thanks, mcwarren. Sorry for the late reply but I had to wash it after all of the work this weekend.

Anyway, I took off #7 and started it. The fan didn't come on but when I turned on the AC, the fans kicked on. I turned off the AC and then let it warm up. About 195 the fans kicked on and ran until I killed the motor. It never cycled off but it's probably because I wasn't going down the road just sitting in the garage. So it seems to be working as expected. All the LED's work as well.

As far as quality, it's a very nice piece. Wiring took longer than I expected but it's not bad. The hardest one was the AC lead. Instead of putting the box on the fan like in the instructions, I made a bracket that bolts to the support bar in front of the battery. It kinda hides all the wiring. Like I said, pictures to follow. Warning, they are from a disposable camera so quality won't be great but you can get the idea.

BTW, the lowering looks good to :D

Anyway, I took off #7 and started it. The fan didn't come on but when I turned on the AC, the fans kicked on. I turned off the AC and then let it warm up. About 195 the fans kicked on and ran until I killed the motor. It never cycled off but it's probably because I wasn't going down the road just sitting in the garage. So it seems to be working as expected. All the LED's work as well.

Your Welcome! One final thought that you probably have covered....but, just in case.....your cooling fan adjustable thermostat will need to be set higher than your engine cooling system thermostat minimum cooling temperature or your coolant will never cool down enough to turn fans off. Example, the OEM thermostat will open around 195 degrees, so once operating temp is reached the coolant temp will not drop much below 195 so your fan on temp will have to be set around 200 or higher to get fans to turn off with temp. I plan on going with the 160 stat and set fans to come on around 180 which will allow the fans to cycle off if and when operating conditions and ambient temp allow coolant temp to drop below 180.

Archived