codes?

HOLSTEIN

ordered a tune and am expected to get a crank relearn code.... as i said i am EXPECTING to get this code on the basis that just about everyone gets it upon install of new tuned pcm...... will this hurt the truck driving it for a day??? also, will this code be easily fixed w/ a "Snap On" scanner/diagnoisis tool???? any special advice i can tell the mech before he starts???

sorry for all the questions,

thanks

tim

As long as the crank variation isn't that far off you should be fine. I drove around for a few weeks one time before getting the crank relearn done. On another instance, I swapped in a PCM and it would barely idle until I had the relearn done, but I believe that is pretty rare. Not sure if the SnapOn scanner is capable of doing that, but I would assume that if it's up to date, it should be able to. As far as special instructions, be sure to tell the tech that you just want the code cleared and the crank variation relearn performed...don't let them reflash your PCM or you will lose your custom tuning. (I think that reflashes can only be done with a TechII)

The one done with a techII only takes a couple of minutes. I did it on my last go around on the motor. The code can be cleared by a normal scanner, but I assume it would come back.

It can also be done with EFIlive with bi-directional controls. It's called a CKP re-learn.

my understanding.... if you ship YOUR pcm to them and get YOUR pcm back... you "shouldnt" have to perform the ckp relearn (but MAY benifit from it), however if you have ANOTHER pcm shipped to you, and ship YOURS back as core... you must perform it seeing as how it is not YOUR original pcm with your ckp learned to it.... does that make any sense?

Archived