408 swap

j4nash

What is it exactly that you think you need? All I needed was some sockets, extensions, and socket wrench. The only "special" tool you need you can get at NAPA and that is a fuel line tool.

I have about $3k in tools at my house. About $75 worth of that, maybe, would have more than covered it.

Oh yeah, and an engine lift. But, you can get one under $100.

Just curious, are you having it rebuilt somewhere? Or are you planning on taking that beast? If sending out can you give the quote they gave you? Ben, how was yours done? I've been saving for a Radix but if a reasonably priced alternative is a 408/410 I'd be more incline.

Just curious, are you having it rebuilt somewhere?  Or are you planning on taking that beast?  If sending out can you give the quote they gave you? Ben, how was yours done?  I've been saving for a Radix but if a reasonably priced alternative is a 408/410 I'd be more incline.

My block was bored by a guy who builds race motors only, then assembled by the LS1 guy at the race shop I go to in Pensacola. Heads came from TEA and cam from FMS. My Callies rotating assy cost $3400, I think. An Eagle assy can cost as little as $2000.

Oh yeah, J4, hope you have fun with that mileage. Don't think it'll hit what you were hoping for, unless you either choke the hell out of it (stock heads), or detune it.

Well I would be happy to help you, but you are too far away for me to make that kind of drive - I will already be out of office way too much in the coming month. If you have a level cement slab/driveway to work on go rent a good cherry-picker.

Mr. P.

For the cost to rent a cherry picker for the whole day, you could almost buy one, depending on the rental fee, of course. PepBoys always has them on sale for $99. I believe they are $149 normally.

Justin, what is it that you think you don't have, other than the lift?

Honestly, I could have used a $50 set of tools from Sears to remove. Putting back in, if you like to spec things out on tightening, then torq wrenches will be needed on top of that. Things like getting to the bolts on the top of the bell housing, normally takes some really long extensions if motor is still in, are alleviated with removal of the intake. You can hit all the hard bolts from the top very easily that way.

Label where your grounds go. If your injector harness is not marked somehow, label them also.

I never removed my radiator, or ps pump/alternator bracket. Removed meaning out of the truck. I unbolted from the engine, then tied out of the way. Leave your exhaust where it is, just loosen only, the connections so they will give some.

Once the intake is out of the way, a bolt in the front and rear surfaces of the heads (I did pass. side front and driver's side rear) and a decent length of chain is all that is needed to pull it out. there are already holes there in the head to use - you just need the bolts.

I plan to buy a cherry picker if they are only about $100. Then since I live in an apartment I have no place to work on the truck and leave things torn apart so if I don’t get everything done in a day my plan was to find a place I could rent a garage or something that there would be enough room for me to have two motors sitting out so I could swap a few parts and also have room for my truck to sit and then if I don’t get everything done in a day I can lock everything up and come back the next day and finish the job. As for the tools I think I have everything I would need for that. I don’t think I will really need anything extra then what I used to do my cam swap.

Yeah i used to do everything in hotel parking lots. cam/headers/shiftkit/ well everything except engine swap. it took me more than 1 full day to pull the engine and tranny. I pretty much did it by my self. The install is alot more easier as long as it will start after you are done :banghead: oh well got that fixed though

i think a shop would charge me out the A@@ to do a swap for me. i asked one guy and they said it would be about $1000. Which is a little out of the budget. plus i would like to do it myself with a little help from my friend.

I thought parish was going to help me do the swap for a few hundred dollars but the guy has never got back to me so I have to find some other option. I could just get a garage at the apartment complex but they are so small I could barely get my truck in one let alone a spare motor.

Archived