Swirl Marks

You can try the maguire's scratch-X (walmart), several rave about it. The best solution, and what I want to do next to my black SS, is buy a variable speed buffer and refinish the truck. Also, check out www.autopia.com, a good resource IMO. Lastly, take great care washing your truck, I placed another post here about all that and it really helps, I'll read back and put a link here to it later.

Mr. P. :)

What you're talking about isn't swirls, it's spider webbing. You can't avoid getting these fine scratches no matter what you do, so get used to it. On the contrary, a swirl is a small amount of hazing produced by a high speed rotary.

Scratch-X will help, but in order to fully remove the webs you need a high speed or an orbital like the Porter Cable. If you plan on doing it by hand, be prepared for some work. Scratch-X won't remove everything, but with 2-3 applications it will be looking better. Try a mild polish, like Meguairs Fine Cut or Megs Deep Crystal Polish, then use a hand glaze. The glaze will help "hide" a lot of the left over webbing/marring. Top it off with a good sealant like Meguaira #20 and you should be set. :cheers:

Mr. Detail (Dylan) enters in 5...4...3...2...1....  :jester:

Late-  Alex

still a little early on that side of the world :crackup:

I'm up! I'm up! :D

On a black truck there isn't a ton you can do to completely eliminate swirls & spiderwebing, but you can minimize them. You need to use a high quality polish w/ a variable speed orbital buffer followed by a top coat sealer.

Zaino is great, I personally use DER Stuff and get great results... but basically I'd recommend a multi-step product and definitely an acrylic.

I did a HOW TO a while ago: DER Stuff

If you decide to go that route you'll want to replace any step I used DER Real Stuff with DER Tuff Stuff. If you have really have bad swirl marks thats gonna be one of the best ways to get rid of it. :thumbs:

Like Dylan said, I use a porter cable random orbital polisher with 1. swirl reducing pad with meguires scratch and swirl reducer polish. 2. polishing pad and some kind of wax/sealant. You won't be able to get everyone out but you can make it look real good. You can get alot of knowledge from autotopia.com like P said.

Brandon

Spider-webbing Prevention 101 -

* Use ONLY real sheepskin hair wash mit (walmart $5). Use TWO buckets to wash your truck, one for clean soapy water, another to 'rinse' the dirty wash mit before getting more soapy water. Don't try to cover more than 5-sq ft with the wash rag, I use one side for 5-sq ft, then flip and use the other for another 5 sq-ft and rinse.

* Use a silicone waterblade (walmart $20) to whisk water off vehicle and minimize surface drying you have to do

* SUPER IMPORTANT - Use ONLY diaper cloth cotton rags or HIGHEST quality microfiber towels made specifically for drying vehicle finishes. Towels labeled as "100% cotton" really aren't, the backing material *for sure* has polyester in it, if not the absorbent fibers themselves and polyester is 5x stronger than steel, it's like drying your paint with a SOS pad. Also, many microfiber towels also contain poly fibers. COTTON OR COTTON FLEECE only; yes they're hard to find and expensive, I could not even find cotton diapers at walmart anymore :(

* When both washing and drying your truck, move the fabric IN STRAIGHT LINES; best practice is on horizontal surfaces (top, hood) move front-to-back, and on vertical surfaces (doors, fenders, bed, tailgage) move up-and-down; that way the micro-scratching that does occur over time is in straight lines and is not likely to be seen *and* when you finally do get to use a polisher on it the process will be a lot more effective.

* Keep it well sealed - DER, Klasse, or Zaino. Klasse is reputedly the 'hardest' of the three.

I've done this for 15 mos now and have not added any scratches to my SS, knock on wood.

There are three categories of paint finish products -

Polishes - actually abrasives that knock down and smooth over surface scratches, some polishes are agressive (rubbing compound :eek:) and some are moderate (Meguires Deep Crystal) and some are light. Again these are abrasives, but in testing the autopia site did a thorough polish treatment on a car door every day for a month and were not able to detect any measurable difference using an electronic paint thickness meter. Since I mentioned rubbing compound - do not use rubbing compound on your truck :nono: it's too coarse.

Glazes - fill-in existing scratches, leveling them out with the top of the clear coat; the 'valley' of the scratch has to be absolutely clean or else the glaze just traps dirt in the root of the scratch, you lock in a poor finish forever (or until you strip/wear the glaze off and the microscopic dirt underneath it).

Waxes/Sealants - protect exterior from the elements.

So to refinish your SS you will have to wash with original Dawn, get ALL the dirt and dust off (plus clay bar if it is really bad); then polish with rough-cut compound, polish again using fine-cutting compound, then apply a fine glaze, lastly 3-4 coats acrylic sealant. Polishing itself will not really make the finish look better than it is (although the paint will *feel* 1000x better). But after the glaze goes on it will look sexy, and after the 2nd coat of sealant it will be jaw-dropping.

It takes a lot of man hours, but when properly finished a black SS will not appear black anymore in the sunshine - it's not exactly a 'black' truck, it's actually a spectacular hematite color, I've never seen any car/truck painted in the same hue but it's got to be polished to be revealed. From a distance it may look black, but at arm's length it's a silvery-black/mirrored/metallic finish.

Try using the site search, we've talked about this at length in a couple posts at one time or another...

Mr. P. :)

i gots a question about this, i dont have swirl marks exactly but i do have a few sections where there are groups of tiny scratches compiuled near eachother. When I wash my truck they really show up but then i can wax and stuff and they look as if they buff out but once the truck gets a normal cleaning they appear again. They are not deep at all but i cant get them to friggin go away. I can mask them up i guess but thats as far as i can get. WHy is that??

i gots a question about this, i dont have swirl marks exactly but i do have a few sections where there are groups of tiny scratches compiuled near eachother.  When I wash my truck they really show up but then i can wax and stuff and they look as if they buff out but once the truck gets a normal cleaning they appear again.  They are not deep at all but i cant get them to friggin go away.  I can mask them up i guess but thats as far as i can get.  WHy is that??

What wax/polish are you using? Sounds like its breaking down too easy and thats usually a signature problem of silicone or carnuba waxes.... but it could be something else :dunno:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived