160 degree thermostat

ctrow

Someone mentioned in another post that by putting in a 160 thermostat that it would burn more fuel. I asked Lyndon about it and this was his reply:

It won't necessarily "burn" more fuel--but it'll add more timing. It does lower the amount of temperature in the engine that aids in vaporization--this can cause a small amount of fuel wash in the cylinders--but not enough if you use synthetic engine oil. If you're going to run a 160, I'll recalibrate to match, Chris.

Just an FYI for everyone.

That was me. I read it in I believe Truckin, they said that the computer would think the engine was in a warm up mode. Kind of like running a high idle when you first start up a carborated engine.

That was me. I read it in I believe Truckin, they said that the computer would think the engine was in a warm up mode. Kind of like running a high idle when you first start up a carborated engine.

I read that same kind of thing this month. Truckin magazine said to get the 180deg thermo as it takes care of this with some help from the colder running motor.

The other way they mention is to get the computer mod that lowers warm up temp.

• 3 weeks later...

I have had 160 in the last 4 trucks and this SS but they were all blown motors. I live up north and have not had problems in the cold mournings with heatiing up. But I have heard sometimes thermostats tend to stay in cold circut mode until the vechicle is restarted or WOT for 2-3sec.

Archived