whipple/ twin screw s/c and improved mileage?

Whipple's website says the s/c gives a very even distribution of power over the whole band... around 50%, while only taxing the engine supposedly 1% under normal driving conditions... so if i understand it right, as long as you don't floor it everywhere ( which would be very difficult to do :D ) you should see a marginal improvement with gas mileage, seeing as your not going as high with your rpm's as you would without the s/c to attain the same speed..?

Just an FYI I am very forced induction ignorant and if this sounds stupid to you guys just disregard :jester:

Just an FYI I am very forced induction ignorant and if this sounds stupid to you guys just disregard :jester:

That is why the board is here. To ask questions.

To answer your question, my cousin has had 3 different trucks, used for towing, with aftermarket SC's. All of them have shown a small improvement in milage on the highway. Where the milage goes down is just where you said, with your foot to the floor.

What have you guys with the SC's seen?

Whipple's website says the s/c gives a very even distribution of power over the whole band.

What they are saying here is that the supercharger makes boost at low RPMs, unlike a turbo or centrifugal supercharger that does not start pumping till the higher RPMs. For everyday driving and for trucks, I say the Whipple or Roots type (Magnacharger) blower is the best , but not everyone agrees.

while only taxing the engine supposedly 1% under normal driving conditions.

When cruising, there is a bypass valve that lets air bypass the blower. The blower still is moving some air, but not under pressure, just wind-milling. With the bypass valve open the engine runs much like it did before the supercharger was installed, there is still manifold vacuum. There is a slight drag caused from turning the blower, but since it is not doing any work, it is negligible.

if i understand it right, as long as you don't floor it everywhere ( which would be very difficult to do ) you should see a marginal improvement with gas mileage, seeing as your not going as high with your rpm's as you would without the s/c to attain the same speed..?

When you press the accelerator, the vacuum starts to drop and the bypass valve starts to close, and rather quickly you are in boostville (a very nice place to be :D ). Of course the extra power comes at the expense of using more fuel, so under boost, the ability to use more fuel is there.

Freeway mpg should remain unchanged, or ever so slightly less. But stop and go driving will show a dramatic decrease in mpg, unless you have extraordinary control. It is difficult to resist using the extra acceleration possible :D

If you are seriously considering the Whipple, you might want to wait till they get their intercooler finished. That should make it a superior product. :thumbs: Until then, the Magnacharger Radix is the king, IMHO :D

For lots of good reading on superchargers, check out the tech articles and forum at

www.superchargersonline.com

and the forum

www.ls1tech.com

has a great "Forced Induction" and "V8 Truck Performance" sections where you can see specific examples of supercharger installs and info.

Good luck on your quest for boost. It is expensive decision, and there is very little objective information to make it on.

thnaks! :thumbs:

how much would intercooling help, and when do you think it would become available..

also I had another thought on a performance increase that would seemingly be easy. Ford has this new device for the lightning that is a tempory boost of power, I cant remember what they called it but basically its a coolant and when you got WOT it runs through the engine and intake and for around 30-40 seconds gives you 50% more hp.

What if you designed a scaled down version of this to run constantly, maybe as an extension of your radiator or A/C unit, it would be built right into the intake tube, thus cooling the air and adding to hp. The cooland could be coiled behind the radiator to cool it, allowing for constant running... does that seem possible?

• 3 weeks later...

MY dad has a 93 chevy dually with a whipplecharged 454, the gas mileage did go up, as long as you drive normal, it also went up when towing as well. we also had a whipple on our 95 suburban 454 that we had, and his 01 expedition has a blower as well. We saw the same results with all of them.

Im not really expecting to gain mileage with the centrifugal. im expecting to lose mileage, but if i do gain some, ill be happy but i doubt i will.

Archived