WHEELS- what will they be??

noweeds.net

I was assuming the diameter of the tire would be the same, I was thinking the handling would be funny due to the different sidewall sizes flexing differently. When cornering the smaller wheel/larger tire combo would flex more on the sidewall than it's companion on the other side. And they would react to bumps differently too.

I understand the wheels were going to be painted silver. But fans like ourselves have raised such a stink over the painted wheels, GM&Supplier are rushing to validate the engineering on a polished version. GM finally came to grips that this is what the public wanted in the first place! ;)

There are a couple of interesting facts regarding the tire choice. First is that the Goodyear Eagle LS's are SR rated tires. This makes the top speed of the SS limited to under 112 mph. Now I'm sure that none of us wanted to run our trucks faster than that anyway but. the first upgrade for everyone should be new tires. Goodyear Eagle LS's are NOT performance tires. Go to Tirerack.com and read the reviews, this is not a suitable tire for anyone wishing to push the SS in anyway, cornering, manuevering, etc. I have experience with these tires in the 235/55R17 variety and they were abysmal. Unfortunately, there is currently no other choice on the tirerack website in this size. There is a Goodyear Eagle GTII in a 285/50R20 size. This will fit on the rim and has a diameter within 2% of the O.E. (31.80 O.E. vs. 31.20 for the GTII). The GTII is also HR rated, which is good up to 130 mph. The reviews on the GTII's are also much better than the LS's. My goal would be to burn up the LS's as quickly as possible and replace with the GTII's. $132 per tire vs. $121 for the LS's and I'm sure worth every penny.

cvp

cvp

It always seems like the tires that come with a car are the cheapest quality that can be found :-) My '91 S-10 had some real lame uniroyals that wore out by 20K !! I don't understand why a tire manufacturer would make tires like this for car companies. They leave you with a bad impression of the tire company.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived