Removing the extension off the Stock air tube????

HOLSTEIN

on a 5 day vacation and have no honey do lists sooooooo its time to mess w/ the sss. :D

my question is has anyone removed the large extension from the intake tube?? the one that extends down into the engine bay... what is its real purpose?? im going to my father in laws shop and take it off w/ a low speed air grinding wheel, then fiberglass it over, smooth it out and paint the bottom flat black... i wonder if i'll see any difference in throttle response or seat of the pants feel..... i'l post back later tonight maybe w/ some pics

im not wasting my time i am just doing somthing i as well as others enjoy, tinkering w/ our vehicles. as for the outlaw, i already am pleased w/ the airraid intake that i have. this was just laying around so i thought i would experiment a little

I know on other vehicles I have worked on the extra chamber was to help cancel out resonant frequncies.

Basically muffle the intake noise.

Some moron told me once it was to let water/condensation (that accidentally entered the intake) fall out of the airstream before it entered the TB.

I will go with it being nothing more than a method to control noise.

anyway,

i took of the "muffler" w/ a die grinder, had to go slow to avoid melting. got it off and filed the area w/ a fine bastard file. then i took masking tape and ran strips inside the tube. 3m makes a plastic epoxy that bonds all kinds of plastic.. i used this epoxy to fill in the hole, and smoothed it out w/ a bondo spatula. dried to the touch in twenty min. i then removed the tape from inside the tube.. this was very smooth w/ no disruptions in air movement. had to make sure all plastic shavings were out of the tube so high pressure air and a wet rag was used. total time including cure 35 min

loeryder,

yea the shop "no it all" told me this was the "trap" for leaves and debris to fall into.. :icon_bs:

if that is the case what about the air filter and then the mass airflow sensor?? if a leave gets through there, be my guest

well finally installed it and do notice a difference in throttle response. this mod was so easy and cheap i recommend it to anyone who just want to mess around on the day off from work. it seems like there is INSTANT throttle response, and really dont tell a difference since the "MUFFLER" has been removed in sound or sucking noise....

if you got the time and a spare one laying around try it

Its called a Helmholtz resonator.

Helmholtz resonators are air resonance cavity devices. They can be specified to meet various design goals such as engine torque increases or noise attenuation. On an intake like the Outlaw a Helmholtz resonator is specifically tuned to boost the torque at mid-range RPMs.

I believe a couple of guys with engineering degrees in the field would have a better idea of what benefits could be had by removing it... they didn't so I'm gonna say it probably serves a specific purpose other than 'debris catcher'

Its called a Helmholtz resonator.

Helmholtz resonators are air resonance cavity devices. They can be specified to meet various design goals such as engine torque increases or noise attenuation. On an intake like the Outlaw a Helmholtz resonator is specifically tuned to boost the torque at mid-range RPMs.

I believe a couple of guys with engineering degrees in the field would have a better idea of what benefits could be had by removing it... they didn't so I'm gonna say it probably serves a specific purpose other than 'debris catcher'

wow,

your right dylon, but i must wonder why do we still mod anyway... our exhaust's are fine yet we still replace, our intakes are fine yet we still replace them, the hp that comes from our engines are sufficent yet we add superchargers, turbos and stroke them. maybe those guys w/ "engineering degrees" have a specific form to follow from someone above or maybe its just another govt plot to keep the man down

wow,

your right dylon, but i must wonder why do we still mod anyway... our exhaust's are fine yet we still replace, our intakes are fine yet we still replace them, the hp that comes from our engines are sufficent yet we add superchargers, turbos and stroke them. maybe those guys w/ "engineering degrees" have a specific form to follow from someone above or maybe its just another govt plot to keep the man down

:withstupid: down with man :crackup::crackup:

Archived