PCM tune

JF-03-SS

Has anyone had a Superchip programmer and then done a PCM tune from Bryan? Is there that much of a difference that you will notice? What more would the custom tune gain me? I would like the SS to have some more pep then it does now. Custom exhaust is on the way for spring time (something like Autoguy's). which should help out too. (Right?) Thanks Jeff~

I had the Crane tuner prior to my PCMforLess tune, along with the cam listed in my sig. (the Crane tuner has 4 different pre-set tunes in it for different cams). I was very impressed with the Crane handheld, especially at part throttle, but Bryan's tune kicks it's butt. Definitely a noticeable SOTP difference in performance. (I don't calculate gas mileage, so I couldn't give you any info there)

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Superchips programmer and like it, I am assuming you have one now? I picked up 3 tenths at the track (same day test) and that wasn't on the higher octane tune as I can only get 92 octane best here, usually 91. Maybe the 93 octane tune will perform even better from superchips,I didn't try it. Keep in mind some custom tunes go harder on the transmission than other due, handhelds are more conservative on torque management, and that will be some of the extra gain.

For gas mileage I can't see a custom tune do much better??? My best mileage for a tank is on the 87 tune with 93 octane from a gas station 200 miles from where I live at 79 mph interstate (17.4 mpg) fluke deal I thought. I had a similar reading on the way back with 16.9mpg. My gas trip has many tank fulls on it, couple thousand miles since last set and is at 13.5 with usually 10% ethanol that gets a tad less mpg than non ethanol but cost less too. I was in the 14's for summer but winter in North Dakota makes the motor work harder to turn everything at well below freezing temps. I do not drive conducive to good mileage either. I have ram air, tonue cover, and a underdrive pulley that all helped mpg. For the cost of a custom tune I would buy a underdrive pulley.

Some of the custom tunes get more power but the hand helds have pluses over the custom tunes with code reading/clearing and easy to take out under warrenty situations or sell to others. I would stay with the superchips, unless you want the extra couple tenths at the strip or street grudge match.

Good luck

I have the Superchips programmer and like it, I am assuming you have one now?  I picked up 3 tenths at the track (same day test) and that wasn't on the higher octane tune as I can only get 92 octane best here, usually 91.  Maybe the 93 octane tune will perform even better  from superchips,I didn't try it.  Keep in mind some custom tunes go harder on the transmission than other due, handhelds are more conservative on torque management, and that will be some of the extra gain.

For gas mileage I can't see a custom tune do much better???  My best mileage for a tank is on the 87 tune with 93 octane from a gas station 200 miles from where I live at 79 mph interstate (17.4 mpg) fluke deal I thought.  I had a similar reading on the way back with 16.9mpg.  My gas trip has many tank fulls on it, couple thousand miles since last set and is at 13.5 with usually 10% ethanol that gets a tad less mpg than non ethanol but cost less too.  I was in the 14's for summer but winter in North Dakota makes the motor work harder to turn everything at well below freezing temps.  I do not drive conducive to good mileage either.  I have ram air, tonue cover, and a underdrive pulley that all helped mpg.  For the cost of a custom tune I would buy a underdrive pulley.

Some of the custom tunes get more power but the hand helds have pluses over the custom tunes with code reading/clearing and easy to take out under warrenty situations or sell to others.  I would stay with the superchips, unless you want the extra couple tenths at the strip or street grudge match.

Good luck

Other then the ram air, underdrive pulley, and superchip do you have any other mods? I see that your 1/4 mile time is 14.6 which I find quit good. I have only been to the track once and ran 15.4 for my best time. That was w/ just a Mac CAI and the superchip programmer on performance tune running 93 octane. I now have a tonneau cover and am getting a custom exhaust done on Thursday. I am hope w/ that done the truck will run alot better. I will have to wait until April until the track here opens again though :(

There are too many variables here but with my PMCFORLESS, K&N filter and muffler I ve got 17.9 MPG s on a 200 miles highway trip. Thats really driving at 70 MPH max. My tune was so long ago I forgot how bad the truck was before the tune.

True that those advantages you listed of owning a handheld exist, but the difference is not worth the extra bells and whistles you get. You could just about get a PCMFORLESS tune, keep your stock PCM, and get a simple code reader for the same money.

To answer your question if I have anything else done, no not really. I have a 180 stat and the air screen removed, removing the air screen on the mass air flow meter may not be a good mod according to others on this site, I have no problems but would not do it again with the problems others claim to have.

The 14.6 was at 1,000 foot calculated elevation with temp and humidity, actual elevation at drag strip is 880ft. So it was not a great day, we have days with negative calculated elevation in the dry, cool fall. This was also on I believe the 87 octane tune, like I said I have not run the 93 octane tune due to poor gas grades available.

I removed the spare tire and inflated tires to 40 psi at the strip and unfortunately had a few more gallons of gas than I wanted about a half tank full. Tonue and endgate still on the vehicle, removing these two both seems to gain a tenth for me, although I was lazy on my day with the best runs and left them on. I ran 15.0 before the pulley with just the programmer and the homemade ram air set up. Once again about a 1,200ft elevation day, and when the pickup had 1,300 miles on it not even broke in.

I think since you have the superchips programmer you can "invest" in other areas for the results you want, stick with what you have. I think you will see results with the exhaust too.

To answer your question if I have anything else done, no not really.  I have a 180 stat and the air screen removed, removing the air screen on the mass air flow meter may not be a good mod according to others on this site, I have no problems but would not do it again with the problems others claim to have.

The 14.6 was at 1,000 foot calculated elevation with temp and humidity, actual elevation at drag strip is 880ft.  So it was not a great day, we have days with negative calculated elevation in the dry, cool fall.  This was also on I believe the 87 octane tune, like I said I have not run the 93 octane tune due to poor gas grades available. 

I removed the spare tire and inflated tires to 40 psi at the strip and unfortunately had a few more gallons of gas than I wanted about a half tank full.  Tonue and endgate still on the vehicle, removing these two both seems to gain a tenth for me, although I was lazy on my day with the best runs and left them on.  I ran 15.0 before the pulley with just the programmer and the homemade ram air set up.  Once again about a 1,200ft elevation day, and when the pickup had 1,300 miles on it not even broke in. 

I think since you have the superchips programmer you can "invest" in other areas for the results you want, stick with what you have.  I think you will see results with the exhaust too.

Thanks for the reply. I guess I will wait and see what the new exhaust gets me. I would love to do headers too, but w/ 2 more years on the warrenty I guess it is not worth voiding it yet.

True that those advantages you listed of owning a handheld exist, but the difference is not worth the extra bells and whistles you get.  You could just about get a PCMFORLESS tune, keep your stock PCM, and get a simple code reader for the same money.

Is the HP difference that big between the handheld and a custom tune? The performance 93 octane tune says at gains about 34hp. Don't know if it is true but you sure can feel a difference over the stock tune.

Is the HP difference that big between the handheld and a custom tune?  The performance 93 octane tune says at gains about 34hp.  Don't know if it is true but you sure can feel a difference over the stock tune.

My guess is it says "as much as XXhp". You may see 10-15, if you're lucky.

Is the HP difference that big between the handheld and a custom tune?  The performance 93 octane tune says at gains about 34hp.  Don't know if it is true but you sure can feel a difference over the stock tune.

My guess is it says "as much as XXhp". You may see 10-15, if you're lucky.

So what would you see out of a custom tune then? I assume the 10-15hp is from a handheld. Thanks BenKey

• 2 weeks later...

I believe superchips is capable of more than 10-15 since I have gained over 3 tenths in the 14's on a vehicle this heavy requires more than 10 hp, and not even on the high octane tune. I agree with Ben that the PCM being sent off gains you a little more and is cheaper, much of that due to torque managment changes being reduced, and that is narrowing the safety margine for the transmission to live a very long life. Your choice depends on what you want out of our vehicle. I like clearing codes, being able to take the program out when I took it in for waranty, and being able to make changes including taking the programming out if I sell the vehicle. This vehicle is not my quarter mile stormer and I wanted more reliability sided performance but being able to perform a little better more like I thought it should have come from the factory.

I believe superchips is capable of more than 10-15 since I have gained over 3 tenths in the 14's on a vehicle this heavy requires more than 10 hp, and not even on the high octane tune.  I agree with Ben that the PCM  being sent off gains you a little more and is cheaper, much of that due to torque managment changes being reduced, and that is narrowing the safety margine for the transmission to live a very long life.  Your choice depends on what you want out of our vehicle.  I like clearing codes, being able to take the program out when I took it in for waranty, and being able to make changes including taking the programming out if I sell the vehicle.  This vehicle is not my quarter mile stormer and I wanted more reliability sided performance but being able to perform a little better more like I thought it should have come from the factory.

So what other mods do you have to get you 14.6 1/4 times?

Archived