402 vs 408

Well for about a year or so ive wanted to build a low compression blown 402 or 408. I just figured I wouldn't end up doing it untill a couple more years down the road, but im now considering doing it in the near future. I think I would rather spend more $ on a 402/408 and have what I want rather than spending a ton of money on a heads and a cam for my LQ9. I also now have a connection that can get me any part at cost. :D Yes I know its still gonna cost some serious $.

My goal is to have over 700 FWHP with 12-14lbs of boost (for the track) and over 600 (with less boost for daily driving. I realize that I will eventually have to upgrade my blower to get those #'s, but I still feel that I can get some pretty good power out of the blower I have now. My question is would I be able to get those kind of numbers with a 402? Im considering the low compression (9:1 cr) SLP 402 because it comes with a rotating assembly and would be a simpler build for me. The 408 just sounds like more of a hassle to me, but I am open to this route. Also is 9:1 compression to low, or is it good. I was thinking maybe 9.6:1 or so, but what do I know?

Also I WONT NEED to pass emisions with this setup. Im going to keep my lq9 for passing emisions. What kind of hp do you guys think I could get out of a low cr 402 with great flowing heads and a big cam before the blower? Would I be able to get 500 FWHP before the blower?

Any help would be greatly appreciated guys. It would be great to get the same kind of respons I got on my last thread on heads. Thanks, Adam

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am assuming you are going to get a new block? If it was me I would go with the 402. It would save some money in the machine work and would leave you room to go larger if there were any problems. Since you are wanting to run mid to low teens in boost i would go with 9:1 cr mabey even a little lower.

It can also be easly emissions passable too. You could get 500fwhp out of a 402 with some high flow heads and a decent cam.

If I was making that decision and planning on 14lbs of boost then I'd want the 9:1CR. If I realistically was only looking at 10, then I would very seriously consider slightly higher CR - maybe 9.5:1 like you mentioned.

For a cam, I'd call Allan Futral and get an application specific designed one. The cam will be one of the most important pieces in the whole setup. Would not get an off the shelf cam from anyone.

I am assuming you are going to get a new block?  If it was me I would go with the 402. It would save some money in the machine work and would leave you room to go larger if there were any problems.  Since you are wanting to run mid to low teens in boost i would go with 9:1 cr mabey even a little lower. 

It can also be easly emissions passable too.  You could get 500fwhp out of a 402 with some high flow heads and a decent cam.

Definately want to go with a new block. You think I could get 500FWHP (before the blower) even with 9:1 CR? If it could pass emisions that would be cool, I just dont want to be limited to cams etc. becuase of emissions. If im gonna spend the money I want to get alot out of it.

If I was making that decision and planning on 14lbs of boost then I'd want the 9:1CR.  If I realistically was only looking at 10, then I would very seriously consider slightly higher CR - maybe 9.5:1 like you mentioned.

For a cam, I'd call Allan Futral and get an application specific designed one.  The cam will be one of the most important pieces in the whole setup.  Would not get an off the shelf cam from anyone.

Ill definately be talking to Allen about a cam for it. I plan on running alot of boost, but after thinking about it im not sure if ill be able to get that much boost. AZFASTSS is running 12.5lbs of boost with the smallest pulley available for our blowers. With the added CI and a big cam 10 lbs might be more realalistic. I could always go with the SLP 402 (9:1 cr) and up the cr a little with the heads right? I could probably get more boost though with the upgraded blower. I think this one would be the righ one. Maybe not?

vortech t trim

What kind of power differences do you guys think I would be looking at with 9:1 cr with 12-13 lbs of boost compared to 9.5:1cr with 10lbs?

Stick with the 402 - put the money into boost. Yes the T-trim will probably get you there, you might also consider the Ysi; the effort will be about the same as you are going to have to fab-up quite a bit. Blower-optimized camming will also be critical. Getting another 6 cubic inches is not going to make a difference, *maybe* another 10hp.

Mr. P. :)

Hey Adam talk to Jamie over at Vortech and see about getting the guts swiched out of the s-trim to the t-trim. I wanted to have that done on my head unit when it took a shit but they just sent me a new head unit. I know that it can be done, they just change out for better bearings and bigger valute??? Spelling? Its worth a shot.

Hey Adam talk to Jamie over at Vortech and see about getting the guts swiched out of the s-trim to the t-trim. I wanted to have that done on my head unit when it took a shit but they just sent me a new head unit. I know that it can be done, they just change out for better bearings and bigger valute??? Spelling? Its worth a shot.

Wow, that's a great idea man. Did Jamie say if he could do this? Or did he say he would look into this? Thanks. :thumbs:

Stick with the 402 - put the money into boost.  Yes the T-trim will probably get you there, you might also consider the Ysi; the effort will be about the same as you are going to have to fab-up quite a bit.  Blower-optimized camming will also be critical.  Getting another 6 cubic inches is not going to make a difference, *maybe* another 10hp.

Mr. P. :)

Yeah, I figured that the 408 wouldn't give me much more hp than the 402. What kind of power do you guys think I could put down with the stock blower on a 402?

i guess it all comes down to what you can get the 408 for and what you can get a 402 for. when i bought my 408 i found a guy that gave me a good deal at the time and it cost actually less then a SLP motor and i got better parts.

Damn theirs so many options here. Im actually considering doing a high compression 402 with 100 or 150 shot now. Would be cheaper route to go and still get great performance. Just gott think about what I want to do now, and how much I want to spend.

Archived