402 vs 408

:withstupid: There are better buys out there than the SLP 402 motor. If I were considering boring a purpose-built engine (because I was keeping the LQ9 for a spare) then I would bore the thing all the way out +.060" (414 cu. in.), that's enough to make a 20-25hp difference on that kind of boost, and to me personally that's worth the effort. Or, you can just employ a little more boost.

Speaking of boost, you are probably going to need one atmosphere (14.7psi) on 408 cu. in. to meet your performance goals (600rwhp). Your performance goals are very similar to TurbochargedBerserker's achievement, he also has a 408 and is using 14psi to do it, I forget what CR he chose to use, ask him his experience.

Mr. P.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:withstupid: There are better buys out there than the SLP 402 motor.  If I were considering boring a purpose-built engine (because I was keeping the LQ9 for a spare) then I would bore the thing all the way out +.060" (414 cu. in.), that's enough to make a 20-25hp difference on that kind of boost, and to me personally that's worth the effort.  Or, you can just employ a little more boost. 

Speaking of boost, you are probably going to need one atmosphere (14.7psi) on 408 cu. in. to meet your performance goals (600rwhp).  Your performance goals are very similar to TurbochargedBerserker's achievement, he also has a 408 and is using 14psi to do it, I forget what CR he chose to use, ask him his experience.

Mr. P.

His cr is around 8.5:1

it's kinda a tough call at this point to say which way to go. the slp doesn't offer anything in between for compression. for daily drivability and simple performance i'd recomend trying to get your compression around 9.8-10.2:1 and running around 8-10psi. that would still allow for 14psi or so on race fuel. at roughly 10.0:1 compression and 8psi your power level should be good enough for 11's easily and you'd still have a nice and somewhat calm daily driver. at this point your blower isn't going to be big enough for big boost and a 408 so you'll need to look into what it'll take to get a bigger head unit on it. always try to do things one step at a time. if you do the goal you first listed you're talking a new head unit, stroked short block, new heads, cam, injectors, converter, and alot of programming work.

as for 402 or 408, that's pretty much irrelevant since one is just bored .030 more than the other.

Could you go a little more into depth?

How much do you want to spend? You could get a good 408 for $9,500 putting down 530 HP (naturally aspirated) or for around $12,000 get a 427. Personally I'd spend the extra 2 grand for the 427. Also, you've been talking about new heads: get them set up for lower compression so you can run more boost. The block can handle the power put the pistons you'll have to worry about. If you go through the trouble in changing the pistons I'd do the , 402, 408 or 427 with forged everything. You can get either of those engines set up to run boost, nos or both. But like zippy said your going to have to put more into a bigger blower, dont forget a transmission too.

$9500?????????

Where the hell have you been shopping?

This is what I spent - within 5%

New '04 block - $670

Rotating assy - $2500 (Callies)

Block work, assy balancing - $400

Heads - $1840

Gaskets and extras $150

Build labor $500

Total - $6060

Get the above with an Eagle assy and knock off about $550. May save a little in heads also. Mine are Total Engine Airflow stgIII heads bought on a group purchase.

$9500?????????

Where the hell have you been shopping?

This is what I spent - within 5%

New '04 block -                      $670

Rotating assy -                      $2500 (Callies)

Block work, assy balancing -  $400

Heads -                                $1840

Gaskets and extras                $150

Build labor                            $500

Total - $6060

Get the above with an Eagle assy and knock off about $550.  May save a little in heads also.  Mine are Total Engine Airflow stgIII heads bought on a group purchase.

Fully Assembled Engine with Build Sheet:

New GM 6.0L Iron Block

Callies Racemaster Forged Crankshaft

Scat Connecting Rods

Diamond Pistons with -2cc or -15cc valve reliefs

Childs and Albert Ring Set Plasma Moly

Clevite H Series Race Bearings

ARP 2000 Rod Bolts

ARP Main Studs

Rotating Assembly Fully Balanced

Engine Blueprinted

Custom Hydraulic Roller Camshaft

Rollmaster Double Roller Chain

Comp Cams 850-16 Hydraulic Lifters

Ported Oil Pump

Airflow Research 225 Cylinder Heads

Resurface Heads to Desired Compression

ARP Head Studs

Cometic MLS Head Gasket Set

Custom Length Moly Pushrods

*You can either buy a new intake manifold, windage tray, oil pan, rocker arms and rear cover or put on your exsisting ones. NO ENGINE CORE EITHER

Or just do the way you indicated. Two different results.

Fully Assembled Engine with Build Sheet:

New GM 6.0L Iron Block

Callies Racemaster Forged Crankshaft

Scat Connecting Rods

Diamond Pistons with -2cc or -15cc valve reliefs

Childs and Albert Ring Set Plasma Moly

Clevite H Series Race Bearings

ARP 2000 Rod Bolts

ARP Main Studs

Rotating Assembly Fully Balanced

Engine Blueprinted

Custom Hydraulic Roller Camshaft

Rollmaster Double Roller Chain

Comp Cams 850-16 Hydraulic Lifters

Ported Oil Pump

Airflow Research 225 Cylinder Heads

Resurface Heads to Desired Compression

ARP Head Studs

Cometic MLS Head Gasket Set

Custom Length Moly Pushrods

*You can either buy a new intake manifold, windage tray, oil pan, rocker arms and rear cover or put on your exsisting ones.  NO ENGINE CORE EITHER

Or just do the way you indicated.  Two different results.

Same specs as my motor, except for the AR heads and I have stock MLS gaskets. You still didn't say where?

I'm 8.56:1, but built for 18 - 22psi. The numbers I have in my sig are the aborted pull where I set stuff on fire (which wrecked a wire...) I believe it's got more at 14psi. Also bear in mind that it was on a mustang.

402 vs 408? Think of it this way: 6ci means nothing, but the 408 lets *you* control the components and the build.

...The numbers I have in my sig are the aborted pull where I set stuff on fire
DAMN dude, didn't know THAT!
402 vs 408?  Think of it this way:  6ci means nothing, but the 408 lets *you* control the components and the build.
:withstupid:

Mr. P.

it's kinda a tough call at this point to say which way to go. the slp doesn't offer anything in between for compression. for daily drivability and simple performance i'd recomend trying to get your compression around 9.8-10.2:1 and running around 8-10psi. that would still allow for 14psi or so on race fuel. at roughly 10.0:1 compression and 8psi your power level should be good enough for 11's easily and you'd still have a nice and somewhat calm daily driver. at this point your blower isn't going to be big enough for big boost and a 408 so you'll need to look into what it'll take to get a bigger head unit on it. always try to do things one step at a time. if you do the goal you first listed you're talking a new head unit, stroked short block, new heads, cam, injectors, converter, and alot of programming work.

as for 402 or 408, that's pretty much irrelevant since one is just bored .030 more than the other.

Im thinking that a cr between 9.5:1 - 9.8:1 will suite my needs best. Any idea's where I can get a short block LS2 402 with CR in that range. Im really leaning towards and ls2 stroker now, but I cant find anything ready for cr in between 9:1 - 11:1. Also you mentioned that I would need a different converter. Could you go into detail on that?

i'd recomend checking into the new 402 from scoggin dickey. Link

as for the torque converter, if you go to a 408 and up the boost level you're likely going to find that you'll be launching at around a 3600 with your 3000 stall. more than likely launching at 3600 with the torque of a 408 on boost is just going to create a favorite of mine...tire smoke.

i'd recomend checking into the new 402 from scoggin dickey. Link

as for the torque converter, if you go to a 408 and up the boost level you're likely going to find that you'll be launching at around a 3600 with your 3000 stall. more than likely launching at 3600 with the torque of a 408 on boost is just going to create a favorite of mine...tire smoke.

So maybe a 2600 stall then? Im actually looking into the 402 from scoggin dickey right now, but they dont say what the cr would be on there ls2 short blocks. Am I just missing it?

Never mind. Found the cr on the link you gave me. :thumbs:

Well, after reading up on the Scoggin Dickey 402 I think I have a match. :D I was already considering them, but there looking even better now. They said with a .052 thick gasket and a 65cc head the cr should be about 10.2:1. What kind of cr would I see with a 72 or 76cc head?

Archived