Sirius/XM Antenna Install

SSAlaska

Has anyone installed a after market satellite radio reciever and antenna? I purchased a sirius sat. receiver for my SS the pioneer model. How difficult is it to install? I was thinking I would run it through the 3rd brake light and mount it on the roof. However I dont know where to mount the actual receiver. Can someone help me out here.

If you do get an aftermarket HU ... you will not have the space to put it behind the radio because of the PAC or metra harness that'll have to squeeze back there.

if you are planning on upgrading the speakers (doors, pillars) with a new component set...you might put the crossover boxes in the fuse box on drivers side and in the glovebox on passenger side (however if you don't plan on it you could put the receiver in one of those spots)...

you can always put under dash or by the "port" that the factory sub uses in the center console

or you could put the receiver under the console by the factory amp

many options just depends on what you're going to be doing in the future as far as audio

• 4 weeks later...

I just added the XM direct kit to my factory radio this weekend. I mounted the XM reciever to the plastic cover over the firewall directly above and slightly to the right of the accelerator pedal. Just used some strong velcro to mount it - it's not heavy. (Make sure to tie up wiring nice so you don't end up tagled in the pedal) The small signal adapter and harness fit behind the factory radio just fine. I placed the antenna near the back of the roof and made a small notch in the third brakelight to run the wire through and sealed it up with a small dab of silicone. I pulled the headliner down and ran the wire to the drivers A pillar and down behind the dash from there.

Took about an hour and a half total including planning locations, but I am no stranger to pulling GM interiors apart either. I'd snap a couple pics but the antenna is now snow and ice covered already. I used a hot knife to make the notch in the 3rd brake light cover but a small file would work fine too. From behind the truck it's barely noticeable at all with the tiny antenna they provide in the kit. Best part was integration with the factory radio. Now if I could get the Artist/Song Title display to sroll by iteself instead of having the press the RCL button every time.................

:chevy:

I just added the XM direct kit to my factory radio this weekend. I mounted the XM reciever to the plastic cover over the firewall directly above and slightly to the right of the accelerator pedal. Just used some strong velcro to mount it - it's not heavy. (Make sure to tie up wiring nice so you don't end up tagled in the pedal) The small signal adapter and harness fit behind the factory radio just fine. I placed the antenna near the back of the roof and made a small notch in the third brakelight to run the wire through and sealed it up with a small dab of silicone. I pulled the headliner down and ran the wire to the drivers A pillar and down behind the dash from there.

Took about an hour and a half total including planning locations, but I am no stranger to pulling GM interiors apart either. I'd snap a couple pics but the antenna is now snow and ice covered already. I used a hot knife to make the notch in the 3rd brake light cover but a small file would work fine too. From behind the truck it's barely noticeable at all with the tiny antenna they provide in the kit. Best part was integration with the factory radio. Now if I could get the Artist/Song Title display to sroll by iteself instead of having the press the RCL button every time.................

:chevy:

I did the same thing as far as the Sirius set up. My reciever is in the same location, I actually screwed it to the plastic. But as far as the antenna location and wiring route its the exact same. Also for those planning on a aftermarket head unit there is plenty of room for the PAC adapter behind the head unit. Here is a link to my entire setup. Install Look toward the bottom of the page.

Archived