noise reduction ???

CraigW

I have an alpine DVA-9860 headunit the problem is between cd songs and when watching DVD's the is that annoying hiss. Plus the volume after about 3 on the head jumps up alittle to fast. I know that its because of the alpine hooked to the Bose has a different input voltage. Is there anything to add to correct this or do I have to dump the bose for aftermarket amps and speakers? I seen an Alpine PREH-090 with BBE with this help or not?

any help is appreciated.

The reason for the hiss is that the aftermarket head unit puts out more wattage than stock bose to the amp. So by over modulating the amplifier you get the hiss. If you are going to do a system anyways just get an aftermarket amp for mids/highs and you should be able to eliminate the hiss...

unless you are "gain" happy

Most of the hiss "noise" you hear is through the higher frequencies >1K. If you are feeling froggy, you can install in-line caps in the + wires to the highs (tweeters) to remediate some. The level of reduction is totally dependant on the X-over slope of the caps you use. Obviously the x-over slope will affect your "flat line" RTA score but I'll bet you would rather have a noise free sound over a concert hall.

Other factors include: The quality of the CD recording, gain on the amps, poor grounds etc. Is your head unit grounded to the a solid chasis ground or does it go through the wiring harness?

Archived