Somthing to make you think

SS Silv

The real question is will the plane move or sit still? The plane would move!The whells on a plane are free spinning ,like the front wheels of a rear wheel drive car.The plane is pushing against the air around the engines not the ground.So regardless of ground speed the engines would still create thurst to make the plane move.When the plane moved fast enough it would create lift and take off.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
remember that until lift happens you are on this conveyer. the conveyer wouldn't let you take off because you are still on it and it is moving as fast as you. you can't forget that part of his question involves the conveyer being able to move as quick as you. until you lift you wouldn't go forward. this is where it becomes difficult. this is also the same reason jet powered planes are launched off of it. without enough speed, they go down at the end instead of up. without enough forward motion for the wind a jet powered plain doesn't go up.

:withstupid: Plan no fly. The plan doesn't have enough thrust to move forward to create wind to lift the plan. A missle is a different story. But in theory neither the missle nor the plan would go any where(if a treadmill could really go that fast LOL). Both have some sort of wing that guides them. The answer has already been given but it's fun to argue our points :cheers:

The real question is will the plane move or sit still? The plane would move!The whells on a plane are free spinning ,like the front wheels of a rear wheel drive car.The plane is pushing against the air around the engines not the ground.So regardless of ground speed the engines would still create thurst to make the plane move.When the plane moved fast enough it would create lift and take off.

Plan no fly. Thrust moves the plan(which is on wheels). If the movement of the plan is countered by the movement of the treadmill, the plan goes no where. If it doesn't go any where no wind in created to cause the plan to lift off the ground. The plan can move all it wants on the treadmill, but if it doesn't move through the air, then no wind is created. Without wind, the plan can't take off. :cheers:

I like threads like this. It causes my post total to go up LOL :crackup:

The tread mill can not keep the plane from moving,Because thrust from the engine is pushing against the air to make it move the ground doesn,t matter.The wheels free spin regardless of the planes movement. The heavier the plane the longer it would take ,because of the friction of the wheels but it would stiil move. :crazy:

no take off....simply put there is no lift to raise it, look at how a plane takes off it needs "lift" to tilt the nose up with this hypothetical situation it will just sit there burning fuel and even if it does go forward thats all it will do...go forward not "up" without air to push it up....i guess it all has to do with the flux capcitor :lol:

I would like to see that. Can you imagine a plane on a big'ol treadmill :crackup: Crank it up f**cker. I'm giving it all I can captain :crackup::crackup:

Gas for your plan $1,200

A pilot to try your crazy @ss stunt $5,000

The look on the pilots face as the plane catches fire......priceless :crackup:

remember that until lift happens you are on this conveyer. the conveyer wouldn't let you take off because you are still on it and it is moving as fast as you. you can't forget that part of his question involves the conveyer being able to move as quick as you. until you lift you wouldn't go forward. this is where it becomes difficult. this is also the same reason jet powered planes are launched off of it. without enough speed, they go down at the end instead of up. without enough forward motion for the wind a jet powered plain doesn't go up.

All this coming from a guy whos never even been on a plane!!! :smash::jester:

All this coming from a guy whos never even been on a plane!!! :smash::jester:

yeah, i'm still nervous of flying and i don't think they will let me drive once i'm up there... :shakehead:

The more headache this gives me the more I am starting to think it would take off. Assuming that you had wheel bearings and tires that could handle the speed and the heat generated. But since we are saying there is a treadmill that could match the exact wheel speed of a plane I'll say we also have bearings and tires that could handle it.

The airplane WILL fly! The plane will only require a certain amount of thrust to hold it's position on the (treadmill). Any thrust in excess of the amount required to hold it stationary will cause the plane to move forward. The wheels turning faster and faster with the treadmill are not going to put any more drag on the plane than when it first started rolling on the treadmill!!

The airplane WILL fly!  The plane will only require a certain amount of thrust to hold it's position on the (treadmill).  Any thrust in excess of the amount required to hold it stationary will cause the plane to move forward.  The wheels turning faster and faster with the treadmill are not going to put any more drag on the plane than when it first started rolling on the treadmill!!

:withstupid:

For all those who think the plane won't fly because it is not moving I have a question..

How fast do the plane wheels (on the treadmill) need to be spinning to create enough rolling resistance to hold back an airplane engine so the plane does not accelerate forward?

Archived