Patriot Performance. Anyone?

:withstupid:

however, i dunno aboot you guys but i dont like the idea/fact of buying heads... for the price most good ones are... and then possibly having to pay more for someone to further work them to suit your application... when you could have started off with your originals... buy all new valves & hardware.. and have someone machine them into the heads you want. (thicker deck/clamping force excluded... however not my number one concern).

Yes.  The better thing to do would be buy the heads that are the stock chamber size or larger - for boost.

How do you figure? Nobody makes an aftermarket head in our chamber size... If you're taking the expense of going with a set of heads, go with the aftermarket castings as all AFT/Edlebrock/Dart/etc usually have the thicker decks for superior clamping power. Why go with a worked over stock head for boosted applications and sell your combination short?

Well, stock is 71cc. I was agreeing with what you said. The 225 that you were referring to is a 72cc chamber. It's not that hard to figure out which one to go with. Even though 72cc may not be optimum for boost, at least it gives you room to have opened up even more to say 77cc, or so, maybe more. Your not going to find heads to lower CR, but you sure don't want to buy ones to bring it up, no matter which head you go with. Not boosted anyway.

If a 62cc size were chosen, I would doubt that you could bore it out to the 317 casting cc size. Not sure if you could go nearly 10cc more. Even if there is enough material in there, why wouldn't you start with the 72cc and try to make larger from there. No need to start small just to try to make it larger to get where you were before you even changed from stock.

If you buy heads from a head builder/porter, the only thing you have to do to them is bolt them on.

Why go with a worked over stock head for boosted applications and sell your combination short?

my TEA's outflow AFRs, Edelbrock, and Dart :)

Mine too :thumbs: Patriot also, which is what the thread is about - I think.

Wow, I really missed the boat here guys... sorry about that. The literature I've seen lists the Dart heads as 62cc or so (maybe it was 61???). I've never seen any listed at 72cc. If that's the case, then my bad. :banghead:

As far as flow goes... my 5.3 heads will outflow the Darts too, for less than half the costs. For someone who can't do their own port work, the Darts flow very well out of the box for far less than any other LSx head anyone has shown me. BTW, here's a nice LSx head article from GM Hi tech... GM High Tech head buying article.

• 3 weeks later...
Spend the money and get teh ETP heads they are sweet.  Or you can get the new DART LS1 heads they flow as good as the Patriots and are cheaper and ahve mroe room to grow.

Is the 62cc chamber on the Dart heads going to be a problem for the Radix (or wannabe Radix :P ) guys?

Regards,

Dan

Yes. That would be close to a 10.5:1 CR. Not good for boost.

A 10cc change in combustion chamber only adds .5 to compression? When talking to TEA and Patriot I was under the impression that 63cc chambers would set the LQ9 right at 11: 1

Spend the money and get teh ETP heads they are sweet.  Or you can get the new DART LS1 heads they flow as good as the Patriots and are cheaper and ahve mroe room to grow.

Is the 62cc chamber on the Dart heads going to be a problem for the Radix (or wannabe Radix :P ) guys?

Regards,

Dan

Yes. That would be close to a 10.5:1 CR. Not good for boost.

A 10cc change in combustion chamber only adds .5 to compression? When talking to TEA and Patriot I was under the impression that 63cc chambers would set the LQ9 right at 11: 1

I think Ben was just estimating. The 72cc to 62cc change on my setup would be ~.8:1 increased CR.

Archived