Front Sway bar only

CraigW

Hotchkis will sell a front bar only (with the appropriate hardware). I bought just the front bar from them a couple of months ago, since I already had the rear bar (salvaged from my 2wd Silverado). The cost is at least $160.

Hopefully you are not considering changing only the front bar, without add the complimentary rear bar. If you are, your truck will understeer even more than it does now.

The stock front bar is 1 1/4", so check the size of the new bar when changing. The math for stiffness works like this: if the bars are the same physical shape, the difference is the bar diameter to the 4th power - so a slight increase in diameter makes a big difference is stiffness. The hotchkis 1 7/16" bar is roughly 80% stiffer than stock SS. These trucks really need a rear bar, it makes a big difference in stability and in getting traction in a tight curve.

I would be more apt to do the rear first, the truck already comes with a front sway. The only issue with the front one is size. I had a helwig in my last truck and it was a huge difference. I did only the rear and it cut body roll in half.

I say do them both if you are going to do it, just MHO.

I was playing with a Dodge Magnum on the freeway the other day and on the way home from work there is this long sweeping connector from the 710 to the 405, I bet that Magnum didn't think I could hang with him in that turn, but I was right on his @$$ the whole way. I could hear my tires squealing in the turn and I know the sway bars made it all possible. :D Plus I still have more adjustment on them! :thumbs:

Late- Alex

Thanks guys I know about the rear. I have an Roadmaster Active suspension kit in the rear and its make a big difference in the rear of the truck especially with my trailer on behind in the wind. |It rides better, reduced the rear sway quit a bit, and helps carry the 500lbs of tongue weight from my trailer. But I noticed the front leans and wanted to correct this so thats why I wanted the front only. I have out run a few cars on the cloverleaf on/off ramps. I have a road about a 1/4 mile from my house that is called racetrack road for good reason it was a part of a race course at one time. My truck runs down this great now not to many people keep up with me on the road. Even had one guy stop at my house and say wow that truck hauls through the curves. :eek: But as always we are never satified if it can be better. :thumbs:

I would be more apt to do the rear first, the truck already comes with a front sway. The only issue with the front one is size.  I had a helwig in my last truck and it was a huge difference. I did only the rear and it cut body roll in half.

You would be surprised at how much just a front change would makle a difference. The stock bar is there, but very weak.

I would be more apt to do the rear first, the truck already comes with a front sway. The only issue with the front one is size.  I had a helwig in my last truck and it was a huge difference. I did only the rear and it cut body roll in half.

You would be surprised at how much just a front change would makle a difference. The stock bar is there, but very weak.

The front already scrubs when pushed to the limit, why would you do a front bar first??? :confused: That's backwards...

Has anyone every heard of or used Addco sway bars? They are reasonably priced at about $150 per axle, but I think their front measures 1 1/4" (same as stock?) and the rear measures 1".

J

Archived