Supercharger questions

I have seriously been considering supercharging my SS. I was curious to know a couple of things from those of you that have already done it.

What brand would you recommend?

Where to have it done?

What effect on fuel economy is there?

What kind of HP gains could I expect to see?

How long would it typically take to have installed, start to finish?

Any other info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

RedpopSS

Magmacharger and Whipple are a couple of options. magnacharger is intercooled providing more safe boost( 7 1/2lb) . Cost approx. $5,199.00 to Whipples $4,199.00. They are both reliable units. Whipple is a little less complex easier to install (providing 6lb boost). Magnacharger has more room for modifications and the most room for playing around(racing, more boost).Whipple takes about 6-10 hour install. Magnacharger about same. Find a dealer that will install or good mechanic. No difference in milage if your not playing around. These units both make low end boost which is what you need to get heavy truck off the line and moving. Hp & torque are about 35 to 45%.

Have fun at it. My last 4 trucks have been blown.

These truck are fast anyway and if your looking for neck snaping take-offs bolt on a converter(yank,pro torque for about $900.00 installed. Your truck will take-off normally and drive normally untill you mash the pedal . Great bang for the buck.(take about 1/2 sec off 0-60mph)

I have a magna Supercharger on my Silverado 5.3L. I went with this system only of the Warranty. Also the install looks COOL.

On the gas I have been getting better gas economy after I installed new sprak plugs.

Since I dont have a 6.0L I have the 5.3L I think I'm makeing about 410hp. With the SS I have heard that It's about 475Hp. may be off I'm not sure.

Since i did not do the install I have no idea how long. Have a ASE tech install it.

. :chevy:

What brand would you recommend? 

Whipple and Radix were at the top of my list. Radix won out due to the intercooler, proper method of increasing fuel deliver and proper method of working with the existing GM computer.

Where to have it done? 

I had mine done by a Mr. GoodWrench for a Hummer dealer that had done many Radix installs in Hummers. Ask Magnacharger, they can recommend an installer. Probably not the cheapest though.

What effect on fuel economy is there?

Cruising on the highway, no difference. Street driving, it is up to your self control. I have none, so my commute driving dips into the 10 mpg range :P With some slight self control, I can get 12mpg.

What kind of HP gains could I expect to see?

I have not done a dyno run, but using the 1/4 mile times before and after, I calculated a 38% increase in power. This matches a claim made by Whipple for there test on an Escalade.

How long would it typically take to have installed, start to finish?

I had a pro do it. It does not look that hard to do yourself.

Any other info would be greatly appreciated.

Really changes the character of the SS. Lots of power off the line, no reving up to get there.

• 2 weeks later...
These truck are fast anyway and if your looking for neck snaping take-offs bolt on a converter(yank,pro torque for about $900.00 installed. Your truck will take-off normally and drive normally untill you mash the pedal . Great bang for the buck.(take about 1/2 sec off 0-60mph)

Setti, is this pretty easy to install? :wtf: or would you recommend someone put it on?

thanks,

makani :thumbs:

Archived