Another Cam thread

VHO_Tek

I'm getting a wish/shopping list together. Well more of a spread sheet with parts and prices of what's to come. Looking at two cams currently, with dreams of Radiix down the road. First one is the much touted and beloved Lingenfelter GT2-3, second is the VHP 079. Specs follow:

GT2-3 207/220 573/.580 w 1.7 rocker 118.5 CL

VHP 079 210*/218* .551/.551 LSA 116*

Hear lies the question, would there be reason to choose one over the other. Remember this is a daily driver, I know 224-230 duration is nice, but would like more of a sleeper cam.

I'm getting a wish/shopping list together. Well more of a spread sheet with parts and prices of what's to come. Looking at two cams currently, with dreams of Radiix down the road. First one is the much touted and beloved Lingenfelter GT2-3, second is the VHP 079. Specs follow:

Hear lies the question, would there be reason to choose one over the other. Remember this is a daily driver, I know 224-230 duration is nice, but would like more of a sleeper cam.

Well the Lingenfelter cam is a sleeper for sure, even a trained ear will not tell right off. BSERs truck has that cam, and if I did not have his truck and my truck side-by-side I would probably not be able to tell a difference.

Maybe the Thunder Racing Old Man cam? (check LS1sounds.com)

Mr. P.

Unless he changed, BSER has my old cam.  It was a FMS cam.  As long as it took for him to finally get it in there, I doubt he has changed.

:eek: Really, which one??

To be honest, I've had so many cams that have been cut for my truck, I can't remember. I want to say it was around a 217/228 cam. Don't quote me though. You have to look at his thread in the strip section on his latest time.

Back to the subject - I'd wait until I got the Radix to do the cam. Call Futral Motorsports and ask Allan to spec you a cam.

To be honest, I've had so many cams that have been cut for my truck, I can't remember.  I want to say it was around a 217/228 cam.  Don't quote me though.  You have to look at his thread in the strip section on his latest time. ...

:dunno: I swear Bob said his truck has the Lingenfelter cam; either way, whatever cam he's got in his SS is very tame at idle and maintains 8.5 to 9 lbs boost at WOT.

Mr. P.

To be honest, I've had so many cams that have been cut for my truck, I can't remember.  I want to say it was around a 217/228 cam.  Don't quote me though.  You have to look at his thread in the strip section on his latest time. ...

:dunno: I swear Bob said his truck has the Lingenfelter cam; either way, whatever cam he's got in his SS is very tame at idle and maintains 8.5 to 9 lbs boost at WOT.

Mr. P.

His sig says it's a Ben Key special.

Maybe the Thunder Racing Old Man cam? (check LS1sounds.com)

Mr. P.

I looked at the Old Man cam(the name suits me) but the specs bother me.

214/220 .600/.523 115 LSA +2

I can't say, but it would seem you would almost have to use the LS7 1.8 exhaust rockers to help even out the lifts a little better. With those on the exhaust side you should get oh, .565-.570 lift on the exhaust valve and might be a good combo. This leads to another problem, springs and pushrods. I'm not sure if the LS6 beehive springs I was looking to use would be a good choice and you would have to have different length pushrods for intake and exhaust. The overlap of the Old Man cam is unknown to me, and not sure if the specs would warrant it being a good blower cam. While overall that may be a great power maker its getting complicated and I'm a member of KISS.

I am running the GT2-3 Cam and am very happy with the results.

Bser ran a 12.35 with his set up and I think 16" wheels. I ran a 12.73 without headers, and on stock 20's. I would venture to say that I can match Bobs time now that I have headers and take some 16's to the track.

My point being is that I think the GT2-3 cam and the radix is a proven combination.

I am running the GT2-3 Cam and am very happy with the results.

Bser ran a 12.35 with his set up and I think 16" wheels.  I ran a 12.73 without headers, and on stock 20's. I would venture to say that I can  match that time now that I have headers and take some 16's to the track.

My point being is that I think the GT2-3 cam and the radix is a proven combination.

Well the GT2-3 has a good track record, pun intended. That's all I'm looking for, easy on the street, easy on the valvetrain. The fast ramp Old Man cam may be a tad too agressive for longevity. Going to highjack my own thread for a moment, this is a freakin awesome site. SSS group seems to be more tolerant of dumbasses like me. LOL

I am using a 220/224 581/581 on a 115lsa, this cam is for a blower application. It was Eriks, then Moregrips, and finally got installed in my truck. It sounds like a sleeper compared to the 216/220 114lsa that I had. It really doesn't lope at all, the only thing is that it is a XER lobe cam. I use it N/A, no blower.

Archived