Building a new sub box

mwalls54

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Okay I finally took some pictures of my box. They are not the best, I just got this camera, so... Just a couple, the seat down NO spacers. the other is with the seat up so you can see the rest of it. I used carpet over the fiberglass to hide the box a bit, the color matches the factory carpet pretty close.

flip that bad boy over and snap a pic of the sub

Face it down.  It will hit a bit harder.  But for strict sound quality, you should face it up,  The sound will not have near the distortion or the vibration induced distortion as it would shooting down.

My 2 Cents

thats exactly what i was thinking. I already decided to face it up because I dont need vibration anymore. I would much rather have sound quality

what subs you going with?? curious to your selection for SQ?

Face it down.  It will hit a bit harder.  But for strict sound quality, you should face it up,  The sound will not have near the distortion or the vibration induced distortion as it would shooting down.

My 2 Cents

thats exactly what i was thinking. I already decided to face it up because I dont need vibration anymore. I would much rather have sound quality

what subs you going with?? curious to your selection for SQ?

they sub i am running is a fosgate power series. 4 ohm dvc. I am thinking it has the 4" coil 1000rms. its about 4 years old or so and has been in the ss for three of those and the other year it was in the box new. So i have never really pushed it hard

kaotik, what did you actually fiberglass on there? Since its a downfire I would think you didnt FG the floor just cause of that reason. Just curious

The frame(skeleton) was built with MDF, then over-layed with the mesh and glass wrap. Then was filled in to take the flex out all in all its about they sides are about 1/4 to 3/8 thick. I did not want to paint it so there was no need to get everything perfect, and I like the carpet look better.

[quote=mwalls54

flip that bad boy over and snap a pic of the sub

Will do, once I can get back to the truck... SNOW!!

I've got my two 10's facing down(MTX 8000 series). My little amp can barley push them but it's enough bass for me. Each speaker can handle the watts the amp pushes. Has anybody used a tube? I had a friend who had two 8's in tubes that hit really hard. Just wonder what it would sound like in the cab. :cheers:

1 " to 1 1/2" and make sure you cut the rear panel of the box shorter than the other 3 sides at the botton so the air can escape, you dont want it to be traped between the floor and the speaker.

1 " to 1 1/2" and make sure you cut the rear panel of the box shorter than the other 3 sides at the botton so the air can escape, you dont want it to be traped between the floor and the speaker.

and thats where my problem hits. my sub is 7 1/2" deep. the last box i had it was facing up and the sub was right at 1/4" from the bottom of the box. I am going to play with it today and see what i can get the box to do.

and thats where my problem hits. my sub is 7 1/2" deep. the last box i had it was facing up and the sub was right at 1/4" from the bottom of the box. I am going to play with it today and see what i can get the box to do.

Are you using spacer to raise the seat?

I have about 1-1 1/2 inches of space. I can slide my hand under the front of the box, if you look close at the pictures you can see where the carpet looks kind of tucked under. My box also rest on the bottom of the seat, no spacer for the seat either.

Archived