Building a new sub box

mwalls54

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Face it down. It will hit a bit harder. But for strict sound quality, you should face it up, The sound will not have near the distortion or the vibration induced distortion as it would shooting down.

My 2 Cents

Face it down.  It will hit a bit harder.  But for strict sound quality, you should face it up,  The sound will not have near the distortion or the vibration induced distortion as it would shooting down.

My 2 Cents

thats exactly what i was thinking. I already decided to face it up because I dont need vibration anymore. I would much rather have sound quality

Okay I finally took some pictures of my box. They are not the best, I just got this camera, so... Just a couple, the seat down NO spacers. the other is with the seat up so you can see the rest of it. I used carpet over the fiberglass to hide the box a bit, the color matches the factory carpet pretty close.

post-6797-1141298798_thumb.jpg

post-6797-1141298823_thumb.jpg

You can effectively run more power to a sub and use a larger than intended enclosure if you "load the cone" (face it down or against the seat bottom). The added force simulates more moving mass to the motor and will change some enclosure dynamics (the famous "Q" values). Sub frequencies are non-directional so if you are crossing over at ~80Hz with a steep slope there will not be much of a difference functionally but you may hear the frequencies that are slipping through the crossover if the sub is facing up. Many feel that sounds crappy (having freqs higher than 125Hz amplified through a sub).

I say do what fits for your application and enjoy.

BTW, MDF is my choice in enclosure materials as well.

Archived