leaking manifold gaskets/clogged cats

hammer

has anyone else had any probs with cats bieing clogged, or mainfold gaskets leaking? iwas driving on thursday and my ss starts to run very bad and the engine light came on. at first it went away then came back, running worse. i took it to my mechanic, and he read a missfire code and maf sensor. after some tests he found the intake manifolds were leaking. this is a common prob so i hear, anyways after replacing the manifold gaskets with the updated ones, and the maf. the truck is still running bad and maf code still comes up.

after disconnecting the exhaust at the maifolds and running the truck it runs great. so it seems the cats or somewhere in the exhaust has a clogg.

has anybody else experianced this. before, or does anyone have an idea of what this may be or have caused this?

I remember one guy had bad cats?? dont remember if it was casue of a turbo or just bad cats :dunno:

sorry more have not chimed in it is slow for some reaseon?????

check in the perftrucks.net they seem to have a bunch of info too

well it seems that the intake leak may have caused the engine to run rich wich led to the cat problem, as of right now the truck is at the dealer for the cat replacent(waiting to hear thier excuse not to cover it) anyways the manifold work has been covered by warrantee. i let u know what happens next.. hope no other damage has been caused to the engine.

its been a week without my truck im going crazy!

• 3 weeks later...
well it seems that the intake leak may have caused the engine to run rich wich led to the cat problem, as of right now the truck is at the dealer for the cat replacent(waiting to hear thier excuse not to cover it) anyways the manifold work has been covered by warrantee. i let u know what happens next.. hope no other damage has been caused to the engine.

My cats were clogged on my truck. I got them warrantied thank god, but I hope that my im gasket isn't leaky and that is what caused it in the first place. I had some exhaust guy tell me that it was from my supercharger. Is there an easy way to test and see if the im gasket is leaking???

My cats were clogged on my truck. I got them warrantied thank god, but I hope that my im gasket isn't leaky and that is what caused it in the first place. I had some exhaust guy tell me that it was from my supercharger. Is there an easy way to test and see if the im gasket is leaking???

Yes, you'd probably have very poor performance for your system. You can always check the bolts to ensure they are tight. Think they go to 50in lbs, but would have to reference a Haynes to be sure.

I don't think your cat problem was from a leaky gasket. Not even sure how that could happen, if anything I would think you'd be lean vs rich. Assuming an excessively rich tune is what caused the clogging.

Archived