Home Made Ram Air

calisapo

Can anyone tell me their thoughts on this...Replace the stock air filter with a K&N or other similiar model. Cut a hole in the filter box and run a plastic tube from the hole down to the brake duct or around that area. Would this be beneficial or a waste of time. And would an aftermarket intake fit like the Volant just be better?

Also, if I were to do that, how big a tube should I use?

Making Your Own Cool Air Induction

Steps:

-Unscrew airbox retaining bolts and remove the paper filter

-Go buy an airconditioning ventalation hose and few feet long w/ a diameter of around 2.5-3''

-Cut a hole at the bottom, frontal side of the airbox(with the cutting tool of choice) using the hose as a template

-Route the ventilation hose from underneith the vehicle to the hole in the airbox

-Fit the hose into the airbox making sure that it will stay using a clamp or something else

-Fit the hose into the bumper airducts just behind the screen and make sure the hose is stabilized with zip ties or clamps

I found this quote from cgar. This was posted a while back. Has anyone tried this and what are the latest opinions? Thanks a lot.

This set-up works great. It gives a sweet throaty sound coming from the engine and it sounds a lot better. I had a buddy get in the truck and mash the gas pedal and i could just fell the air being sucked from the tube that exits the brake duct. I would say that doing this would work even better than the Volant system because Volant does not take advantage of the air duct...... Plus, you will save some big bucks.

Calvin

The Volant system, with air sccop, does take advantage of the duct.

I know Volant has taken advantage of this on some other models but I wasn't sure if they had made a system for the SS yet. When I looked into Volant before doing the Custom setup I remember the additional piece that mounts onto the Volant air-box that takes advantage of the duct is an additional $125 to the already $325 Box and filter. This is great if you want to put some stickers on your truck, showing off your performance mods, but if you don't want to drop $450 + Tax then you should look into doing the custom setup that IMO works just as well.

The Volant system, with air sccop, does take advantage of the duct.

I know Volant has taken advantage of this on some other models but I wasn't sure if they had made a system for the SS yet. When I looked into Volant before doing the Custom setup I remember the additional piece that mounts onto the Volant air-box that takes advantage of the duct is an additional $125 to the already $325 Box and filter. This is great if you want to put some stickers on your truck, showing off your performance mods, but if you don't want to drop $450 + Tax then you should look into doing the custom setup that IMO works just as well.

Couldn't agree more. A custom job is what I have. Although, I hear the Volant air scoop for the SS is available now (according to one of our members). It wasn't three months ago when I was wanting to do something.

Archived