Driveline Issues/Vibration

foxySS

Have you had vibrations or driveline issues after lowering or making suspension changes?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Have you had vibrations or driveline issues after lowering or making suspension changes?

• Yes
    • No

Hey all, after reading MisterP's problems with his lowering kit , I am curious to know the percentage of people that have had problems. It can be minor or major but please give your experiences. If you did have this problem, what corrected the issue(s) for you? Also, what kit or combination of kits did you decide to use? Belltech? Mcgaughy's? Other? What amount of DROP did you go with?

I for one haven't lowered yet, but I have all the belltech compenents to do the 2" drop. So I'm curious to here what everyone has to say.

Thanks. :)

well i dont think people should vote unless they have a lowered truck but thats my opinion. i have the it dropped 2/3 mcg deluxe kit wiht 4 degree shhims and still have aa vibration at 70+ so hopefully The P can figure it out!.

I'm trying to do everyone a favor by bringing this up, but I guess it's a meaningless poll since no one has bothered to even answer it. :dunno::wtf:

Thanks for contributing some info though chase. :)

P.S. We'll go with Amount of Lowering then- since that is what most seem to go with. I hope that helps.

I've been lucky with mine.................had a slight vibration under acceleration from 70-90, but haven't experienced it now for quite a while. Other than that, I really haven't had any other major issues since I've dropped the truck. Even after taking care of the "reverse" rake, by cranking the torsion bars just enough to match the ride height of the rear, I still haven't had any major problems with it.....and that's driving 30 miles each way to work/home 5 days a week.

well i dont think people should vote unless they have a lowered truck but thats my opinion. i have the it dropped 2/3 mcg deluxe kit wiht 4 degree shhims and still have aa vibration at 70+ so hopefully The P can figure it out!.

When your lowering you truck you should raise the TF case with a 1 " shimm and shimm the motor mounts 3/4"

When your lowering you truck you should raise the TF case with a 1 " shimm and shimm the motor mounts 3/4"

Hmmm, I'll agree that the engine/tranny angle needs to be flattened-out a bit, but I was expecting to have to lower it, not raise it. We'll see later this week, I'm still trying to work in a day off so I can get to Mike's Off-Road, that plan's not going so well... :banghead:

Mr. P.

I voted but I've only lowered my truck 2" in the rear and 1" in the front with the t-bars and replaced my original front snubbers (jounce bumpers) with the SS snubbers.

with that small 1"/2" drop I've had no problems and have had the truck well over 100mph... though it's always had a vibration in the 90-100mph range under hard acceleration, but dont notice it at a steady cruise.

You will always have vibration issues untill you adjust everything correctly it doesn't matter which kit you purchase Belltech or McGaughys you will get a vibration if you don't purchase everything you need to correct the pinion angle and driveline angle. With a 2wd and a 4" drop in the rear you should only need a carrier bearing relocator and 3* shims to correct the problem. I can't speak for the AWD guys because you have a one piece driveshaft instead of a 2pc and I only dropped my 04 SS 2" in the rear which was corrcted with 3* shims. Neither kit comes "complete" they only include what you need to drop the truck not to fix driveline issues.

• 3 weeks later...
I just lowered my rear with 2" shackles and I have a slight viberation on accleration. I have a 2006 2wd VHO with a carrier bearing do I need a shim at the axle and the bearing?

I'm going by memory, but I'm pretty sure that you DO NOT shim the carrier bearing. The front half of the two-piece driveline is basically viewed/treated like an extension of the tranny output shaft, meaning that you must make sure the tranny output shaft proper and front half-shaft of the driveline MUST lie in the same plane.

Mr. P.

Archived