RPM at 75MPH

Iudex

I was comming into work this morning and for the first time noticed that my truck sits at 2500 RPM at 75mph. That seemed a Little high. I wanted to ask what RPM ya'll have at 75 to see if there might be somethign wrong.

I was comming into work this morning and for the first time noticed that my truck sits at 2500 RPM at 75mph.  That seemed a Little high.  I wanted to ask what RPM ya'll have at 75 to see if there might be somethign wrong.

Do you still have the stock rims/tires?

Mr. P. :)

i would think that sounds about right, i know when i had exhaust done the first time it wouldnt start to get quiet inside the cab till about 75 and i remember all the resonance was from the rpm range of 1800-2500rpm's :dunno:

At 2500-RPM locked-up in 4th on stock tires (31.8-in tall) = about 82-mph; you should be at 2250-RPM at 75-mph. Maybe your torque converter clutch is not engaged? But if that were the case the PCM should throw a code and turn on the check-engine light. :dunno:

Mr. P.

edit - you didn't have the tow/hail button on did you?

3500ish

ouch :crazy:

i was happy this morning cruising at like 2600 at 50mph :)

Holy cow, no wonder you get 8-mpg! Did you swap gears and put on shorter tires? And drive it in 3rd? :jester:

Mr. P.

:D  i thought it was best to keep it in 2nd and see how fast you could go  :jester:

:lol: You want to know the scary thing - my dad's wife has a mid-90s Ford diesel pickup w/ 5-spd, and she's always forgetting to shift into top gear while on the freeway, and she's driven it like that since day one. Just a' motorin' along at 75+ towing a gooseneck trailer with that poor Ford diesel wound flat-out :uhoh: One time I politely told her "you forgot to shift" and she smiles, shifts, and tells me all about how the other day she realized she had been driving on the freeway in 4th from here to Sweetwater (2.5-hrs) saying "and I know it can't be good for it" :D Nice lady, but it was that moment I had a cold chill when I realized that she doesn't actually drive, she just uses The Force; we have to tell her to turn off her turn signal too :lol: Sorry to bore you, your comment just reminded me of that funny story...

Mr. P. :)

You can also tell if the torque converter is locked by not letting off the gas while cruising on the highway and just barely tapping the brake pedal. It'll unlock the torque converter and jump up another few hundred rpms. Just tap the pedal enough to kick the brake light on.

You can also tell if the torque converter is locked by not letting off the gas while cruising on the highway and just barely tapping the brake pedal.  It'll unlock the torque converter and jump up another few hundred rpms.  Just tap the pedal enough to kick the brake light on.

i do that and my rpm's drop about 250-300 rpm.. :wtf::dunno:

:seeya:

You can also tell if the torque converter is locked by not letting off the gas while cruising on the highway and just barely tapping the brake pedal.  It'll unlock the torque converter and jump up another few hundred rpms.  Just tap the pedal enough to kick the brake light on.

i do that and my rpm's drop about 250-300 rpm.. :wtf::dunno:

:seeya:

That's because you are already coasting by the time you hit the brake - your clutch is working and the engine is braking under compression.

Mr. P.

Archived