Still a little bloody...

Dylan06SS

Just got home from a 2 hour session to get my latest peice outlined... I will say this... a tattoo on the ribs is not for the faint of heart... THAT SHIT HURT!!

Anyways, its a gothic style griffin... now for the meaning:

The griffin (eagles head, lions body, w/ wings) is a symbol of protection, but with a violent tendency. Mythology says that they would build nests of gold that people would desperately try to steal and they were almost always killed in the process. I wanted a symbol of protection for my baby on the way.... the chain and shackle around his neck symbolizes control, or staying gounded in reality.

Last I left the scroll work open... I will have the name of my son or daughter added there after he/she is born as a testament to how I will always watch over and protect them.

I go back in for shading as soon as this outline is healed up... probaby a couple of weeks. As always this is an original design by Henry Powell at 6 Feet Under Tattoo in Upland, CA. Gotta give props to the guy... he has an uncanny knack for taking the ideas out of my head and recreating them in ink :cool:

Sorry for the shitty pic quality... camera phone and bad lighting... when it hurts less I'll try and get better pics.

grifftat.jpg

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
looks good... i have a date set two weeks from now for my celtic cross in the EXACT same place... thanks for the warning :thumbs: - and once again... looks good man

If its your first tat... you're gonna be scared for life by how bad it hurts... if its not... you're gonna wish you were doing it on your arms or something. That was some painful stuff right there.

The griffin (eagles head, lions body, w/ wings)  is a symbol of protection, but with a violent tendency. ...

OHHHHH, you mean like jumping out of a running vehicle with knife in hand to assault a teen's bookpack?! :P Just kidding, I like it and I think it suits you to a T. I think it's perfect pick for this time in your life, when I became a father my attitude really changed, I got a lot more protective and assertive than I already was; I think it was because I now had something in my life I was willing to fight/die for. :thumbs:

Mr. P. :)

OHHHHH, you mean like jumping out of a running vehicle with knife in hand to assault a teen's bookpack?!  :P 

:crackup::crackup::crackup: I nearly pissed myself laughing.... Sorry Dylan

That tat is Huge!!! What are the demensions?

Archived