what the dealer says...

So I brought the SS to the dealer just now for the speedo sticking and the transmission not shifting out of first.

I have an extended warrenty up to 72,000 miles so I should be covered. This is what they told me... can anyone relate? Does this sound right?

I have to leave the car so they can pull the cluster out and check the number on the back. Once this happens they can see if there is a part in stock. If so, it can be fixed asap... but if not they will have to fix the original cluster which could take 2 weeks.

As far as the tranny goes... the guy says they have to give it to a tech and most likely I will have to agree to a $1000 tear down to find the problem. This $1000 may or may not be covered under the warrenty but they can't tell me what's wrong until it's torn down. Basiclly once this happens, if it's something that is not covered, I'm out $1000 plus what ever it's going to take to fix it.

Sounds strange no? Wouldn't it be under $1000 to have a shop put in a shift kit and replace the whole VB anyway? Where do they get $1000 just to find the problem, that has a TSB out?

Why don't they just stamp "Sold as is" on the sticker when they sell these things or start making parts in America again.

#1 $1000.00 teardown is BS

Mitchell Says AWD 7.2 hrs Remove and inspect

RWD 4.9 hrs R&I

Call and see what the shop labor rate is ,at $85.00 hr that's only $612.00

Your getting Jacked

and who is your Extended warranty with ?

The Inst clust sounds like the real deal 2weeks sux

# 2 Not shifting out of first .........Why ,whats the Code ?

did they scan it ?

You walk in they see Extended Warrant = Big $$$ for the Stealership,you may have a bad shift solo.

I would do some research

Yeah I figured $1000 was BS. From what I understand it's a bad valve body, at least everyone else with the same issue is coming up with that problem. The warrenty is with national.. it's a good warrenty and should cover this... but I can't believe they are telling me I have to gamble $1000 to find out.

I saw the 7.2 hours for a tear down on the sheat so that sounds right.. Even with tax that's only $700 unless there is time charge to put it back together too.

There is no code... and I've read on here that if the problem is in the vavle body, the shift solo will give the signal but the thing just wont shift... so it wont even throw a code. Damn it why can't things just work! Anyhow... the most annoying part is just having to swap out the PCM at 9pm when I get home and driving into the dealer with 20 less HP. What a hassle.

As far as the cluster goes... that's a bummer. If they know it's an issue they should have more in stock. I guess I could pay for the bump up to the dale edition.

Cheers!

S

Here's my $.02. I worked as a tech for a couple of chevy dealers. As far as the cluster goes these newer GM vehicles have the part and calibration numbers programmed in them, so the GM scanner can retreive the #'s with out pulling any thing out. Now some parts still have a code stamped on them, this is not a problem if they need to get one off the cluster, any good tech can pull it out and get the code and reinstall it in five minutes, it's so easy.

As for the trans they are not really trying to BS you. I have done many extended warranty repairs. they will cover certain things, the dealer is just covering their ass in case the warranty company will not cover it, which happens and it sucks but they want to make sure somebody is going to pay the techs time, as for it being a $1000 i dont know what the problem with the trans is but if they have to pull it out and go pretty far in to it to find the problem then it is close, a $1000 will cover just shy of a complete over haul, now i dont know what their labor rates and shop fees are.

I would go for a second opinion :thumbs:

Ok.. I am bringing it tomorrow morning so I will see what they say. Here are the TSB's I could find on the issues...

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Chevrolet/Sil...2004/tsbs.shtml

#3002A - 4L60E and 4L65E Intermittent neutral condition while accelerating from a stop or while driving.

#02086 - 4L60E and 4L65E Intermittent neutral condition while accelerating from a stop or steady speed.

#020730030A - Trans slips, shudders or vibrates from 1st to 2nd gear.

and then for the rest

#3155 - Speedo inoperative

#01470 Eratic Idle, Idle surge and near stalling.

I can only hope this stuff is all covered, I just blew 800 bucks on new tries out of no where... a grand on something like this is not what I need.

Do you guys think it would be cheaper to bring it to a shop and have them fix this while they install the shift kit?

Cheers!

S

Do you guys think it would be cheaper to bring it to a shop and have them fix this while they install the shift kit?

maybe, if you can find a good shop/person. I would try to fix one thing at a time cause with different issues you might get the easier one fixed and then get hosed with the difficlut...but the person who does the shift kit need to know what they are doing or you will just have a mess of parts...for a shift kit they should take the valve body off, so if your problem is there it should be easy to get at...how many miles are you at now?

I have never heard anything great about extended warranty companies :dunno:

So it's in the shop right now. I put the stock PCM back in last night and has some real rough idle problems for the first 20 miles or so, not to mention it felt like the engin was going to stall every time the RPM's dropped.

Anyhow.. turns out the cluster is covered under the ext. warrenty so they are going to fix that first then try to test the tranny. The guy told me something like becuase the cluster wasn't reading properly they couldn't get any readings for the tranny... and that once the cluster is replaced.. that may solve some of the tranny problems??? Sounds a bit odd to me... do any of the electronics in the tranny need input from the cluster?

I looked up some stuff on ebay.. and it seems like if they are going to charge $1000 to just drop the pan, why not buy an upgraded tranny for like $2000? Seems like a waste of money just to have them look at something?

i'll let you all know what they say.

Out of curiocity... could this possibly be in the programming? Would there be something in the PCM that causes this?

Cheers!

S

quote of the day (what they really mean)

"yes sir, this is a bumper to bumper warrenty.. the only thing not covered is anything that breaks".

no the cluster does not affect the trans at all, the only thing is the cluster shows trans temp. It could possibly be in the tuning but i doubt it( he may have bumped you line pressure) but it looks like you already know what to do if they charge you a grand. go for the new built tranny!

Ok.. so I called my local tranny shop and after getting through all the bad things they had to say about having the deal work on the truck.. this is what he said.

Basiclly that the dealer wouldnt know how to fix the problem, they would just replace things. This guys says that he would diagnose for free and it wouldn't be more than $400 to take the trans out and tear it down. I guess he works on the 4l60e all day and has it down pretty well. He said it would be $200 to put in the shift kit also.

Worse comes to worse... new built tranny =$2000 + $400 for insall... $2500 for a whole new built tranny vs. $1000 just to see what's wrong. Sounds like my mind is being made up?

So as everyone knows, dealers suck.

I'm gonna have the guy at the tans shop look at things when he installs the shift kit. I was looking for some extras to make sure this doesn't happen again. In addition to:

TRANSGO SHIFT KIT series C (4L60E)

CORVETTE SERVO (K61986)

SONNAX BILLET 4TH SERVO / CORVETTE (4L60E)

SONNAX PINLESS METAL ACCUMULATOR PISTON (4L60E)

SONNAX BOOST VALVE KIT w/O'RINGS .490" RATIO (4L60E)

I was thinking of the following...

"700R4 Pressure Regulator Spring"

"700R4 throttle valve elevated pressure spring"

All this stuff that says 700R4 will fit in the 4l65e right?? um, right? I think?

so experts here have gone thru the trans and have a complete list, BenKEy did it and others added on that post. A shift kit will address mosst issues, execpt parts that have failed. The one thing I wish I could have done was a better seperator plate during the shift kit install???? Do a shift kit search :driving:

• 2 years later...

Archived