clay bar

oh yeah :thumbs: The shine is only as good as the surface underneath. Wash truck with Dawn original, then use claybar, then follow with another wash and finally Zaino/DER/Klasse for a show car shine. You only need to clay once to twice a year, and the first time might really take a while (like all weekend) if there is a lot of contaminants in the paint.

Mr. P. :)

make sure you keep Kneeding the clay or you will scatch the paint.

i clay bar then go over it with hand glaze, then go mothers 3 step. and maybe do another layer of wax on top of it all.

beads water very nicely

but its avery very long process. also do your windows

Do not waste your money on conventional waxes IMO. Use acrylic sealants (Zaino, Der Shiney Stuff, Klasse, etc). Do not use silicone-based waxes.

Polishing will really help and is doable if you have an orbital or D/A machine - last year I used the McGuires Step #1 and Step #2 with a cheap orbital machine and cotton/terry pad and got good results at removing most light swirl marks, I just left out Step #3 (wax). I then topped-off with Zaino and the finish was dazzling.

If you do not have access to an acrylic sealant go ahead and use McGuires NXT but it will still evaporate away in 2-3 weeks. Forget carnubas unless the car is 100% indoors.

Mr. P. :)

If you ve never clay barred it yet, it s a must. It will make a big differnce. Look further down the appearence section, under Der shiney stuff. Much better than wax. I clay bar mine with the bar in one hand and a hose with lightly running water in the other. Does not take long at all if you do it this way.

If you ve never clay barred it yet, it s a must. It will make a big differnce. Look further down the appearence section, under Der shiney stuff. Much better than wax.  I clay bar mine with the bar in one hand and a hose with lightly running water in the other. Does not take long at all if you do it this way.

Sorry to jack the thread, but I think most question were answered.

Do you guys apply your wax by hand or machine. Is the machine better besides making it a lot faster to apply the wax? Will applying it by hand still do a good job?

Sorry to jack the thread, but I think most question were answered.

Do you guys apply your wax by hand or machine. Is the machine better besides making it a lot faster to apply the wax? Will applying it by hand still do a good job?

Theres so many variables (orbital or regular buffer. type of product. condition of the paint. etc ) that make it impossible to give a blanket answer to that question.

For my own personal vehicles I've always done the polishing step apply by hand, removed with an orbital buffer then apply the final coat by hand and remove by hand.

The only time I think your really need to use a machine is if your trying to remove swirls and scratches... the rest of the time your probably better off doing it by hand.

Also, machines don't make the process all that much faster if you're doing it right IMO. You need to move slow and methodically when using any kind of buffer.

To answer SS Silv s question: By hand. Once you get your vehicle clay barred once for the year and polish out any swirl marks or light scratches, it is so fast and easy by hand that it s not worth using a machine. Most of the new products go on and off so fast and easy. You also have to be careful with some higher end machines because you can ruin the clear coat if you are heavy handed.

Archived