Baer Brakes

Stitches040

jon i think its definately because you use them so much, sometimes i drive slower than normal and that is when they do squeal is when you are not hard on them, it even says in the directions if you dont use them hard from time to time your pads will become unbeaded and this imo is what is causing the squeal, i notice if mine start to squeal i just get on it a few times to heat the pads up and no more squeals, !

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I just like the thrill of being able to slowdown so fast and scare others who ride in my truck now and then by hitting the brakes way later than you normaly would in a truck of this size. I can honestly say if I had these brakes at the time the a$$hole stopped infront of me to make a turn he nearly went past I would not have run into him! I also find the brakes don't work well when they are cold they work so much better once I get them hot! I say don't be afraid once you have gone through the break in to get these things HOT. The only reason baer has had a problem with cracked rotors is because they admittedly had a bad batch and they are more than willing to replace the rotors as long as they are the rears because they are the only ones that were bad, if you have very small surface cracks don't bother because that is normal and there is nothing wrong with the rotor. They do warrant against warping so I'd say if they warp then get it replaced! Baer is very fair if you call them and tell them your problem and it's visable get the persons e-mail to talked to and e-mail them pics and call them back the next day to be sure they got the pics so they can discuss a fix for the situation.

... Speaking of warping, my stock rotors are starting to warp. I get the slight thud thud thud while slowing down. I do admit I only drive the SS every now an then. I try to heat them up when I do take it out for a romp.... (It's amost 2 years old, and has only 10K on it)

So do you think that this is due to lack of driving, or driving Miss Daisy (When the wife rides with me)??

FWIW, I've never had any brakes squeal under heavy pressure. If it does, the pads are nearly ready to go. From my experience anyway. Squealing comes from light pressure like going through a 25mph zone and have to slow to stop.

i have the alumasports and am not sure how they compare to the eradispeeds, but i can tell you my brakes do squeal like the others.  I also used the earls brakelines and they bolt right on and are the way to go. :thumbs:   Good luck with your decision if you havent made it already.

WTF do you guys do to your brakes that cause them to squeal??? :confused: I have had mine on for a while now and still have only had them squeal at low speed right before I am completely stopped but there is nothing abnormal about it, thats what disk brakes do! My stock brakes squealed all the time even up to 80mph or so, maybe I am just hard enough on the brakes to prevent them from squealing because I will tell you I am not easy on my shit ask Chase!!! I see no point in spending the money and having expensive brakes if your not gonna take full advantage of it. That would be like your grandma owning a 1965 or 70 Chevelle SS 396, it just doesn't make sence.

I dont beat the shit outta my truck but i definetly dont baby it. I even have 23's to add more work for the breaks and it seriously sounds like a semi is comming to a stop when i stop. Kinda embarassing. And i know its not cause the pads are shot because there is only like 6 or 7k on the breaks. I also think i have a cracked rotor in the back. Im sure baer will cover this right Jon?

i have the alumasports and am not sure how they compare to the eradispeeds, but i can tell you my brakes do squeal like the others.  I also used the earls brakelines and they bolt right on and are the way to go. :thumbs:   Good luck with your decision if you havent made it already.

WTF do you guys do to your brakes that cause them to squeal??? :confused: I have had mine on for a while now and still have only had them squeal at low speed right before I am completely stopped but there is nothing abnormal about it, thats what disk brakes do! My stock brakes squealed all the time even up to 80mph or so, maybe I am just hard enough on the brakes to prevent them from squealing because I will tell you I am not easy on my shit ask Chase!!! I see no point in spending the money and having expensive brakes if your not gonna take full advantage of it. That would be like your grandma owning a 1965 or 70 Chevelle SS 396, it just doesn't make sence.

I dont beat the shit outta my truck but i definetly dont baby it. I even have 23's to add more work for the breaks and it seriously sounds like a semi is comming to a stop when i stop. Kinda embarassing. And i know its not cause the pads are shot because there is only like 6 or 7k on the breaks. I also think i have a cracked rotor in the back. Im sure baer will cover this right Jon?

they should depending on the crack size, i had a similar experience and they helped me out, i think they have a new producer for the rotors because the last ones werent made to the right quality. but no problems with mine so far(knock on wood) i would just send a few pics to baer and see what they say!

its like and inch and a half long and goes from one of the drilled holes to the edge.  Ill be pissed if they dont replace it.

Just call them up and ask for someone in tech. tell them what kinda vehicle and the problem. I would also mention that you know they had a bad batch of these rear rotors and then ask the guy for his e-mail because you want to send him some pictures. Then call him back after you send the e-mail to be sure he got the pics and i'm sure they will send you a new rotor. They most likely won't replace both untill the other one cracks because it may be a good one.

its like and inch and a half long and goes from one of the drilled holes to the edge.  Ill be pissed if they dont replace it.

Just call them up and ask for someone in tech. tell them what kinda vehicle and the problem. I would also mention that you know they had a bad batch of these rear rotors and then ask the guy for his e-mail because you want to send him some pictures. Then call him back after you send the e-mail to be sure he got the pics and i'm sure they will send you a new rotor. They most likely won't replace both untill the other one cracks because it may be a good one.

thanks ill do that. And i just checked all of the rotors and both of the rears are crack like exactly the same.

I DO NOT recommend the Baer Alumasports.  I have them, they stop great, look cool as hell, and are easy to install, BUT, i did not pay 2 g's to have brakes that squeel. They squeel loud, and almost all the time.  i know, i know, performance brakes need alot of heat yadda yadda yadda.  and i did break them in properly. 

just my opinion that $2000 brake kits should not squeel like a bitch.

Not to mention they slow the truck down 2 to 3 tenths in the 1/4....as per CHP.

i dont see how that is possible, they may be a bit heavier but .2-.3 seconds heavier :wtf: . what other mods did they upgrade too at the same time? did they test the brakes alone?

i dont see how that is possible, they may be a bit heavier but  .2-.3 seconds heavier  :wtf: . what other mods did they upgrade too at the same time? did they test the brakes alone?

:withstupid:

sounds like a load of shit to me

didnt holty run like a 12.66, with them. That pretty insane cause according to chp then he should have ran a 12.33. I dont think thats possible with his mods. I mean his 12.66 is impressive enough for me.

i dont see how that is possible, they may be a bit heavier but  .2-.3 seconds heavier  :wtf: . what other mods did they upgrade too at the same time? did they test the brakes alone?

:withstupid:

sounds like a load of shit to me

didnt holty run like a 12.66, with them. That pretty insane cause according to chp then he should have ran a 12.33. I dont think thats possible with his mods. I mean his 12.66 is impressive enough for me.

yeah, the Baer brakes didn't slow me down at all. if anything maybe a one hundreth or two, but i doubt even that.

(is one hundreth even a word? LOL)

...(is one hundreth even a word? LOL)
(yes, with a 'd' --> hundredth)

I just installed today the Alumasport kit, Earl's lines, and ATE Super Blue and after a quick test drive I also do not believe they slowed the truck down at all; it is a welcome improvement everyone with an '03 or '04 truck should seriously consider.

Think about this - GM redesigned the '05 and later trucks to have larger front rotors, and it is a well documented fact that the '05 trucks perform similar (in acceleration) to the '04 and earlier trucks; if what CHP says were true then the '05 and later trucks would be .2 or .3 slower due to the OEM change to larger/heavier rotors, and this is just not proven to be the case. ALSO, if there really is a .2 or .3 difference due to larger rotors and heavier drums then logic says there should also be an *increase* in gas consumption, and the last thing that any OEM is going to do is make a change that will shoot their CAFE quotas in the butt. I think this is a very credible example as the brakes are the only significant difference between the pre-'05 and '05+ SS/VHO trucks.

The Baer rear rotors and PBR calipers weighed nearly the same as the OEM units; the one-piece Baer front rotors were heavier but maybe only 3-5 lbs each, and the front calipers were definitely a couple pounds lighter each. A 3-5 lb swing in weight per wheel is comparable to what you would see when switching brands/widths of tires, i.e. going to from Goodyear 275's to Kuhmo 295s is a similar change in rolling weight - and I don't hear people complaing that changing tires made their trucks slower.

I know the CHP guys were really careful in their testing but something else must have happened to explain the big (2 to 3 tenths) drop in performance they observed.

My vote = Myth Busted. MythBusted.jpg

Mr. P. :)

Archived