What is best Oil?

haynss

Hey BenKey:

Do you know which Amsoil part number for the double bypass best fits our SS's? The extra hose you mentioned, is that special hose from Amsoil or just regular hose from a parts store?

Do you use the Amsoil air filters? Tranny Filters?

Which lube did you use for the differential?

I know, I know, I'm full of questions, but I'm just trying to help you be the first to 2000 posts...<grin>

Well, I think I got all your answers:

Part# for a double-bypass relocation kit is BMK-13. This kit will put a cap over the existing filter location with hoses going to your new location wherever you choose. They have pics on the website of an install of a '02 Silverado that is mounted on the rear side of the transmission crossmember. Looks like a pretty good spot.

Extra hose, depending on choice of location is part # BP-181. Priced per foot.

Do I use amsoil airfilters? No. I have the Volant intake and use the filter that came with it.

I do order my tranny filters through them and they ship hastings filters, which is one of the better filter makers.

Diff Lube, I use Series 2000, 75W-90 or you can go with 80W-90 - personal pref.

Some other things that you might want to get, if you get the double bypass kit:

p/n BK-11 - pair 90 degree fittings

p/n BK-13 - oil sampling petcock valve

Make sure you look at the kit and what it all comes with. From there, based on where you have decided to mount it, decide if you need the extra items like the two mentioned above, or extra hose and how much. The oil sampling valve makes it easy to take a sample to have the oil tested. Theoritically, you will never drop this oil, only change filters. You will want to know how well it's holding up. You can purchase X number of tests for your oil on the website as well. If the location you decide to mount doesn't really have any limitations on size of filters, then order the biggest they make for both filters. Filters are separate for the BMK-13 kit, and will add about 2qts of capacity with the larger filters. It took a little over 7.5 qts to fill my '99 Sierra to capacity when I first installed. The two filters, one is a normal flow and one is a bypass, require replacement every 12.5k for normal flow, every 25k or annual, for the bypass.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need anything else. Also, if you are not a preferred customer, pay the $20 to be one and get everything at dealer costs. You will more than make up for the $20 if you're ordering this kit.

-Ben

• 2 months later...

Archived