Single 4" exhaust

SS_bnoon_SS

1) Backpressure is bad, ALWAYS. You want as little as possible...but this must be balanced with high gas velocity.

So while a 6" tube would have very low backpressure, it would also have slow flow (reducing scavenging), and would cause a power loss, especially at lower RPM's.

Single 2.5" tubing would have a very high velocity (good), but lots of backpressure (bad).

2) Depending on cams and head flow...bigger might still be better. For example, my 240SX, when stock...only made ~155HP. So you'd think a smaller exhaust would be good, and a full 3" would cause a loss of power...but it's been dyno proven over and over and over that single 3" exhaust is good across the board, no loss anywhere.

3) A 6.0 making +450HP can utilize a big exhaust like that NO PROBLEM, especially if you're running forced induction.

4) The REALLY important part is the headers and collectors...past that, it's easy...having *just* big enough tubing to support the needed flow (CFM).

So...with good headers...a single 4" exhaust should be great, and support the HP you're looking for IMO.

- Brian

Well, let me shed a little more light on it... The 6.0L will be pushing 450-500 NA, and another 100-150 on giggle juice once or twice a year. I have AS&M 1 3/4" headers that I'm contemplating merge collectors for to increase scavenging. Those will exit to twin 2.5" pipes, back to a merge style Y pipe (again, to keep velocity to a maximum), into the single 4".

dounome, you got any sound clips of your truck? I just don't want to end up with something that sounds like a UPS truck or something...

Well, let me shed a little more light on it... The 6.0L will be pushing 450-500 NA, and another 100-150 on giggle juice once or twice a year. I have AS&M 1 3/4" headers that I'm contemplating merge collectors for to increase scavenging. Those will exit to twin 2.5" pipes, back to a merge style Y pipe (again, to keep velocity to a maximum), into the single 4".

dounome, you got any sound clips of your truck? I just don't want to end up with something that sounds like a UPS truck or something...

The 1500HD and 3500HD with the 6.0 gas have 4" single. A Magnaflow catback for those same trucks are a dual 3" going out a single 4" so I don't see why if it is available for those it would work for us. The HD's use the LQ4 not the LQ9 so whynot? Anyone, anyone, bueller?

Archived