URGENT

drako

i was gonna post this on the appropriate topic but i need a answer ASAP. and i feel like such a freaking noob to ask this but anyways. i decided to change out the oil to the truck, it just turned 3300 miles. so i got the mobil 1 filter, and mobil 1 5w-30. i dropped about a spoonful of oil by the headers, after the eevrything i started the truck and after a few minutes smoke starts to rise from the engine. i dont know what to do im guessing because i changed to synthetic that the truck will burn the oil? or would it be the little oil i dropped by the engine? i might have put a little too much oil maybe like 6 and a half quarts or 7. i need help quick.

from what you describe I think everything is ok, sounds like you spilled some oil onto the exhaust system and after it finally got hot enough it started coking the oil - it'll smell nasty until all the oil has burned away but is generally harmless. To prevent the burned oil smell I clean the exhaust and frame underneath with a old rag soaked in cheap paint thinner (aerosol brake or carb cleaner works well too).

Just make sure you are not spraying oil from the oil filter, that there are no drips from the drain pan bolt, and you show oil pressure on the dash guage. :thumbs:

Mr. P. :)

Too much oil is an engine killer ... pull out the dipstick and see how much is in there ... do not run it overly full !!!!!    :smash:

:withstupid: Do check the dipstick, but 6.5-quarts sounds like the correct fill amount. Overfilling an engine will cause oil to be pumped into the combustion chamber, it will be belching bluish oily smoke out the tailpipe! Been there, done that :smash:

ok im pretty sure the reason for the smoke is because i dropped the oil on the headers. the smoke is only coming from that side, there is no dripping of oil, and ive been letting the engine run for a while. oil pressure is normal. engine temp is at 210. im pretty srue i did not overflow because there is non of that blue smoke or a wierd smell from my exhaust. but im still a little worried about that.

oh by the way thanks guys your my heroes!!!! :wub:, :jester: so im guessing this, engine stopped smoking....and no blue smoke or (and engine pressure is normal) wierd smell and im in the clear as far as putting to much oil?

you should be ok if you put 6.5 qts in, how can you not know how much you put in it though? Count the empty's around you :dunno: As for the smoke, yeah just the oil burning off, my engine smoked the first time I ever did an oil change when i was 16 cause i dropped the oil container and it went everywhere, horrible smell for a little but it burned off and everything was fine

Archived