Color sanding and buffing factory paint

I have noticed a lot of orange-peel on my paint when I sight down the side of my truck, and think it would look a lot better if it were color-sanded and buffed out. A local painter guy I know just quoted me $300-350 to do the whole truck. Is this a good price? He said he would remove the hood to keep the mess down, if that matters...

J

Thats probably the going rate out there.  I dont know why he would remove the hood.

I guess to keep the sanding debris from running into the grille area and keep the buffing spatter from getting into the cowl vent? I was a little suprised to hear that, and would probably just have him leave it on as not to open a can of worms.

He wants to take the hood off to make it easier to wet sand and polish as well as keep the polishing crud off the wipers and cowl area.It will not be opening a can of worms if they take it off because the hoods on these trucks line up very easily.I wolud be leary of having my new truck wet sanded and polished cuase there realy isn't a lot of paint on them to begin with and if they sand or polish through it you'll have to get the panel refinished.I know this from working in a body shop for the last ten years.But this is just my .02. :cheers:

:withstupid: factory paint isnt thick at all, if i recall its only like 3 coats of clear. i would make sure he would cover anything if it happens to go to deep. but i want the same thing done to my truck black just pisses me off sometimes! but you canet beat it when its clean!!

I will be gettting mine done in the next week or two because of scratches. I could give an opinion then. It's going cost me a little more but it is a very good body shop, and I have alot of scratches.

:withstupid:  factory paint isnt thick at all, if i recall its only like 3 coats of clear. i would make sure he would cover anything if it happens to go to deep. but i want the same thing done to my truck black just pisses me off sometimes! but you canet beat it when its clean!!

:withstupid: X 2

At most, I would buff out the clear with a very mild abrasive (a finishing compound normally used as a final stage on new paint would be my choice). Then wax it and call it good. Factory clear can be burned through even by the best detailers in the biz, especially after color sanding. Besides, the cladding is so wavy on these trucks anyway, why even sight up?

what exactly is color sanded? How the process work and do they re-spray it with a clear coat or anything?

A person can knock down the orange peel on the clear by using a very fine grit paper and water. This will level the surface out to perfection, but it needs to be done by a pro b/c you could easily destroy the paint in the process.

Once sanded it needs to be high speed buffed and polished to bring back the shine.

The results are phenominal, but factory paint is sooooo thin I'd be hesitant to do it.

i went to a paint shop to do this to mine also but they talked me out of it because they said that the clear was so thin from the factory you would end up losing a lot of protection.they told me they would still do it if i wanted it done but they recomended reappling the clear with more coats then wet sanding it so it would be done right.

Archived