HO 6.0

dcairns

I know, I have way too much time on my hands, but I was poking around the GM drivetrain website and found an interesting bit about the High Output 6.0 and it's features. I highlighted an interesting bit about the better manufaucturing tolerences for this engines. At least we won't have to worry about the dreaded engine knock problem, assuming it is much of a problem in the first place. But they seem to acknowledge that there is a bit of a problem there.

HO6.0.jpg

Umm, I'm not very mechanical at all. Are they saying that you can go up to 10,000 miles before you change the oil? I have always done it at about 3,000 or so. Also, If I'm reading it correctly...there is a computer read out of some type that indicates when you should change the oil?

Justin

Umm, I'm not very mechanical at all. Are they saying that you can go up to 10,000 miles before you change the oil? I have always done it at about 3,000 or so. Also, If I'm reading it correctly...there is a computer read out of some type that indicates when you should change the oil?

Justin

On the 97 vette you are supposed to go to 10,000 between the oil changes, and on the 02 you are supposed to go 15,000 miles between changes.

RF, that is what I have heard too, but I have also heard one explanation from GM that it can be caused by too much clearance in one of the main bearings. Kind of an ugly mental picture of the crank slamming onto the bearing surface comes to my mind :blink:

The whole issue seems rather overblown in forums on the internet, but it is interesting that they are addressing it.

Archived