Radix rotor coating & meth

I sent my Radix back to Magnuson to have it overhauled while my engine is out, and they found that the rotor coating is starting to come off. He offered to put a new rotor pack in for somewhere around $500, but my concern is that if I continue to spray meth through the rotors the coating will just come off again anyway, so I had him put the old rotors back in and just do new bearings front and rear.

What are the potential problems I will run into as the coating continues to erode? Noise only? Excessive wear? Metal shavings coming off the rotors? Worse?

What if I were to just spray water through instead of meth? Is that just delaying the inevitable or will it stop the erosion?

Is there a way to spray meth after the rotors instead of through them?

Just talked to Kevin at Magnuson, sounds like the only adverse effect will be that the coating could flake off and start to clog the intercooler. He said that GM ran uncoated rotors on the s/c V6 motors for years with no problems, and the EGR system on the vehicles put a small coating of carbon on the s/c rotors that protected the bare aluminum. Since I have EGR as well, I think I will just try to keep an eye out for nasty high IAT's....if i run into problems again I may just have the rotors stripped so I don't have to worry about it.

Anytime I spray meth on a SyTy I do it after the turbo.

The Magnussen sits right on the intake, doesnt it? No tubing between them like a Whipple or Paxton.

Not gonna be easy to spray after that without adding a bung to your lower intake.

How long have you been spraying? How many miles have you put on the Radix head unit? What concentration of Meth:water are you running?

I am spraying and am just curious. From what I have been researching, 50/50% will have minimal effect on the rotor coating. If you strip the coating off, you will run into a lower efficiency unit and clogging of the intercooler.

I have been running 60/40 water/meth. Head unit has 85-90K miles, installed the meth kit about 10K miles ago. I am wanting to go with 100% meth though.

I talked with Kevin about the efficiency of coated vs uncoated and he said there would be a difference but it was negligable - the coating is there for durability, not efficiency. Clogging of the intercooler is my primary concern.

Archived