Reduce the price of gas

pnblwzd

I have a better idea, stop using so much gas :D

I have been working from home the last six months, and it saves a lot of gas money (70 gallons a month).

Best idea = stop using gasoline, period - go ethanol! But OTOH doing that will just send all our dollars to Shell since they have the technological upper-hand on making fuel ethanol.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice suggestion, but it won't work as stated above... the oil companies have WAY more resources at their disposal to outlast us than we do to outlast them.

The best recouse at this point is to write your local congressman or anyone up the chain of government. These prices are putting the clamps to alot of people who can't afford it and the only way it will stop is if we can get legislation passed to regulate the prices.

In theory it may work but I agree they will find away around it :banghead:

I was watching something the other night about GM and the E85 Ethenol, Brazil I believe uses it and it is there major source for fuel now the majority of people are using it, but it's not availible everywhere here yet and most cars here are not designed to run on it. So people want use it they may have to buy a car that runs on it, save money on gas but spend it on a car payment :jester: I did not get watch the whole thing.

Either way were screwed :mad:

Sweeden is also E85; consumers there are buying E85 vehicles over gas at a ratio of 4-to-1, I'm guessing because gasoline is prohibitively expensive there. One thing is for sure - there will be a new world order when the western world can tell the OPEC nations to kiss our ass...

The interesting thought to me about ethanol is that we are kind of returning to our automotive roots; Ford's first offerings ran on ethanol, but the fuel at the time was so expensive to produce because they had to use serious chemistry and acids to do so; everything was switched to gasoline when it was discovered that petroleum was so much more cheaply obtained.

Today we have the miracle of bio-engineering and genetic mutation; Shell has backed and funded the development of a new form of yeast that not only eats/ferments starch but also the cellulose of plants and they are maintaining exclusive license to the technology; they are holding their cards very close right now. Related thought - what will happen if this new strain of yeast gets loose in the world, will it eat every plant available to it? This yeast can eat paper, so will entire tropical forests suffer yeast infestations?

Mr. P. :)

I think the way it works is, the oil companies will just sell products to other oil companies who can sell it, and then they both still make money. Maybe they don't make as much, but they still make money....

didn't I just write that... :dunno:

He must of blocked your name, so he doesn't see any of you posts. :jester:

I think i am going to block him! LOL.... :jester:

jon you grow up in antioch? or just live there now?

I moved to Antioch when I was about 11 years old, so yeah, I guess I pretty much grew up there...I graduated from Antioch High <----- The main reason I can't spell for sh!t!!! LOL.... :jester:

The wife was talking to GM people about the new E85 stuff and they told her it cost more than gas right now. Who wants to pay more for E85 fuel for a SUV or Truck? We're basically screwed until the goverment does something :banghead: . Last I read all this talk of Iran has caused the cost of oil to be about $15 higher per barrel than normal. Funny how bad news pushes oil prices higher but good news doesn't do a damn thing to the price. News flash Iran just farted....so the price of gas is going up/down!!! who f'ing knows anymore lol :crackup::banghead:

I think the way it works is, the oil companies will just sell products to other oil companies who can sell it, and then they both still make money. Maybe they don't make as much, but they still make money....

I moved to Antioch when I was about 11 years old, so yeah, I guess I pretty much grew up there...I graduated from Antioch High <----- The main reason I can't spell for sh!t!!! LOL.... :jester:

lol, nice what year?? wife was there in '94

No matter what we do, the only way to make prices go down, in an inflationary market, is to demand less. This is virtual impossible, with the way the U.S. transportation system is set up. Everyone still has to go work, school, etc. So how much can you really cut back, the answer is not that much. The other problem is, if we have a problem with oil supply on top of this, be it from the middle-east or venezuela, I have no doubt oil would hit $100/barrell instantly.

On a lighter note: I can't wait to put my 414ci motor in, because I am sure it is going to get excellent mileage. :crackup:

lol, nice what year?? wife was there in '94

I graduated in '98... :thumbs:

from what i heard on the news lastnight was that in order to keep supply up with demand, the government is lifting some of the emissions laws on production of fuels. less demand= cheaper fuel, but thats only a temp thing. also i think that if the larger companies started taking hits then we would see mergers, then it would be all for nothing and we would be buying fuel from mobchev76ell at over four bucks a gallon anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived