headers w/stock cats

detjoe

Well I have been looking for the next mod and the exhaust is in my sights, if I go w/the pacesetter LT and then hook up my stock cat and in the future a cat back corsa is that going to kill the gains of the headers ???

and how is Armor coat compared to Jet hot coatings???

Well I have been looking for the next mod and the exhaust is in my sights, if I go w/the pacesetter LT and then hook up my stock cat and in the future a cat back corsa is that going to kill the gains of the headers ???

and how is Armor coat compared to Jet hot coatings???

i've never heard of Armor coat, but i can say the my experience with Jet Hot was excellent. Great customer service, and the headers turned out fantastic.

Radix-equipped trucks have only slowed down .1-sec in the 1/4-mile with factory cats.

Mr. P. :)

What's the advantage of using high flow cats then? I might have to rethink something quick. I'm getting ready to buy a used set of supermax headers with the high flow cats but I might go with the pacesetters if I can keep my stock cats.

my newest idea is to get the off road pipe and add my stock cat to it, then it is rmovable and it will bolt in. The guy selling them said Armor coat is not as good as Jethot but he said the quality was good, and they are waiting to get them-not in stock!

just from my experiences you should just do the exhaust while you are changing the headers. I had a custom exhaust then had the headers installed and i had to have my entire exhaust redone because the pacetters are so long you have to relocate your cats.

But if the off-road pipe allows you to bolt up to a cat back system then you will have the overall correct dimension, and fitting in the cats will be alot easier than if you have to make up that piece???

What's the advantage of using high flow cats then? I might have to rethink something quick. I'm getting ready to buy a used set of supermax headers with the high flow cats but I might go with the pacesetters if I can keep my stock cats.

You're going to have to research that question, I know catalytic converter performance has been discussed quite a bit; you might also ask TurbochargedBerserker, if I remember right he's done quite a bit of study on this. Again this is my memory but I recall the stock cats aren't quite as bad as people make them out to be, only the TOP-dollar metal-screen type cats show a significant improvement over the factory ones.

Mr. P.

You're going to have to research that question, I know catalytic converter performance has been discussed quite a bit; you might also ask TurbochargedBerserker, if I remember right he's done quite a bit of study on this. Again this is my memory but I recall the stock cats aren't quite as bad as people make them out to be, only the TOP-dollar metal-screen type cats show a significant improvement over the factory ones.

Mr. P.

Does dynatech high flow cats count as top-dollar cats?

But if the off-road pipe allows you to bolt up to a cat back system then you will have the overall correct dimension, and fitting in the cats will be alot easier than if you have to make up that piece???

Yes and no. The off-road pipe, if they make it, will have all the correct dimensions and everything, but without seeing it and having the cats you plan to go with in hand, there is no way to tell if you'll be able to slap cats in the middle of the ORY piece.

In other words, you're making a whole lot of assumpitions here. Not to say what you say can't work. However, at this point, it's quite a stretch.

The number MisterP posted is about dead on with the testing we've done. We went to the track with a Radix truck with the cats on and the next day went back to the track with the same truck in about the same weather with the cats eliminated and gained .07. High flow cats originally came out in the time when the stock cats were absolutely terrible for flow and people have just kept buying them even for the newer vehicles out of the assumption that the stock cats are a huge flow restriction.

Archived