Wierd gas mileage problem

fox_forma

I've heard of problems from "over-filling" but have never seen it personally. I fill it to the rim every time and always have.

If my DIC says it will hold 24.2 gallons then 24.2 gallons is ALL it will hold to the tee. Experience dictates if it takes more there's something funny going on at the pump and I don't fill up there any more. I've thought of hiring my DIC out to The Department of Weights and Measures. :D

EPA ---- You need extra room in your gas tank to allow the gasoline to expand. If you top off your tank, the extra gas may evaporate into your vehicle’s vapor collection system. That system may become fouled and will not work properly causing your vehicle to run poorly and have high gas emissions.

EPA ---- Topping off the gas tank can result in your paying for gasoline that is fed back into the station's tanks because your gas tank is full. The gas nozzle automatically clicks off when your gas tank is full. In areas of ozone nonattainment, gas station pumps are equipped with vapor recovery systems that feed back gas vapors into their tanks to prevent vapors from escaping into the air and contributing to air pollution. Any additional gas you try to pump into your tank may be drawn into the vapor line and fed back into the station’s storage tanks.

Overfilling the tank can ruin the charcoal canister that traps fuel vapors. It's part of the emissions system and is therefore the manufacturer's responsibility for the first 100,000 miles.

ALLDATA Q&A ---- I have been told that filling your vehicle's gas tank PAST where the pump normally shuts off will affect the oxygen sensor. True

When it comes to filling your gas tank, leave a little room for the tank to breathe. Continuing to fill the tank, after that first click of the nozzle when the pump shuts itself off, allows raw gas to enter the car's vapor recovery system. In hot weather, overfilling can be dangerous. The heat causes vapor to expand, and the tank needs some 'breathing room.' This can cause gasoline to leak back out of the tank through the filling tube, and creates a safety hazard by spilling onto the ground

*** And finally make sure to fill up early in the morning or late at night .... becuase .... fuel pumps measure by volume instead of density ... fuel is more dense when cold ... therefore giving you more bang for the buck !!!

*** And finally make sure to fill up early in the morning or late at night .... becuase .... fuel pumps measure by volume instead of density ... fuel is more dense when cold ... therefore giving you more bang for the buck !!!

Additionally, when you do fill up, pump slowly... gas is highly volatile, so if you pump fast then you are just adding more air to the fuel going into your tank. I don't wanna pay for air...

Additionally, when you do fill up, pump slowly... gas is highly volatile, so if you pump fast then you are just adding more air to the fuel going into your tank. I don't wanna pay for air...

wouldnt the air escape out of the tank as you fill? Since the gas hose isnt exactly air tight when your filling up?

Interesting reading. Never heard of any of that other than possible spill from it. Maybe the GM trucks are not as susceptible to some of the failures referred to. :dunno: I only say that because I do it every time without fail on this and my last 3 and never had anything go wrong. Every other vehicle my wife has owned (5 in 7rs), it won't let you go too far at all beyond the stop point.

wouldnt the air escape out of the tank as you fill? Since the gas hose isnt exactly air tight when your filling up?

absolutely, but your payin for it as it escapes... This is what I have been told from a gas broker, so it is word of mouth, but makes sense

Archived