trailer harness issue

backinblack

I've been having trouble with my boat trailer, I didn't have right hand turn signals or stop lights. I chased wires down for a while sunday and pulled all the scotch lock connectors they had in there out, soldered and shrinkwraped all the connections. That got my tail lights working but still no turn signals. After tracing the wires and hitting them with the test light I found that I don't have right hand turn signals at the 7 pin on the back of the truck. Not the adaptor plug for the trailer but the actual 7 pin plug on the truck. I ran out of time the other day and I'm going to mess with it tonight. Any ideas on where to start or what to check in there? Thanks in advance.

Might be the same kinda problem Brian. Flip open the cover on the 7 pin and hit it with the test light. There is a diagram on the cover for which pins go to what. If you've got power there you probably have a bad adaptor plug. If not you have the same problem as me.

there is another harness for the 7 pin trailer lights. it should be between the cab and the bed on the frame rail. it is for slide in campers/5th wheel hook ups. see if you have power to all the pins there, and if so then run your wires back to the rear. you should be able to do a contanuity (sp) test between bouth plugs..if not then you know what needs to be done, find the brake in the wire. OR see your dealer :crackup:

good luck.......

:seeya:

PS if no power there also, then you got a major job tracing it all the way up frount

did you check your plug for your brake controler :dunno:

Edited by desrtrat (see edit history)

PS if no power there also, then you got a major job tracing it all the way up frount

did you check your plug for your brake controler  :dunno:

Why would you have to trace it all the way up front? Couldn't you just splice into the turn signal wire at the taillight and run it to the 7 pin connector in the rear? :dunno:

Edited by Generalms02 (see edit history)

did you check your plug for your brake controler  :dunno:

Why would you have to trace it all the way up front? Couldn't you just splice into the turn signal wire at the taillight and run it to the 7 pin connector in the rear? :dunno:

That would be a pretty half ass way to fix it but definatly would have taken alot less time. After about an hour and a half of tracing wires, from the back of the truck to under the hood, then through the bulkhead and behind the dash I have the answer. If I'd bothered to pull a wiring diagram it would have taken about 3 minutes to find the problem. Inside the drivers side door jam on the dash is a fuse panel. There's 4 10 amp mini fuses in there that run your trailer lights. Probably where you should look escalade SS.

Why would you have to trace it all the way up front? Couldn't you just splice into the turn signal wire at the taillight and run it to the 7 pin connector in the rear?  :dunno:

DUDE...WTF over!?!?!?

thats more ghetto than a black caddy clip on a red SS... :banghead:

That would be a pretty half ass way to fix it but definatly would have taken alot less time.  Inside the drivers side door jam on the dash is a fuse panel.  There's 4  10 amp mini fuses in there that run your trailer lights.  Probably where you should look Escalade SS.

SWEEET....def. gonna try that first!

:thumbs:

~Brian

thats more ghetto than a black caddy clip on a red SS...  :banghead:

:crackup::crackup::crackup:

There is a wire harness connector for the trailer wireing above the spare tire. Pull it apart and check the male terminal ends. I have come across a couple of them that a terminal was bent over. The terminals are long and bend easy if it isnt pluged togeather carefully. The ones I seen were that way from the factory.