what is the torsion bar code for SSS's?

moregrip

as most of you know I have a 2500HD (basically a 3/4 ton) and I want to switch to 1/2 ton suspension. I already have stock 1500 rear leaf springs (w/ new U-Bolts in the mail) so I also want to swap out my 3/4 ton torsion bars, GM code GK , Max torque 8615. I want to soften up the ride but I don't want to have a pogo either. Also, I would like stay safe as I may make the occasional high speed blast. So what makes the most sense to you? I'm thinking SSS torsion bars might make the most sense because both trucks wiegh about the same.

CHEVY TORSION BAR CODES AND RATINGS:

15048307-LH (code XK) (Max torque 4553)

15048308-RH (code XK) (Max torque 4553)

15048309-LH (code XL) (Max torque 4626)

15048310-RH (code XL) (Max torque 4626)

15712407-LH (code WX) (Max torque 4863)

15712408-RH (code WX) (Max torque 4863)

15048311-LH (code XM) (Max torque 5638)

15048312-RH (code XM) (Max torque 5638)

15058267-LH (code YH) (Max torque 5913)

15058268-RH (code YH) (Max torque 5913)

15712409-LH (code WY) (Max torque 5913)

15712410-RH (code WY) (Max torque 5913)

15528957-LH (code GG) (Max torque 6709)

15528958-RH (code GG) (Max torque 6709)

15712411-LH (code WZ) (Max torque 7267)

15712412-RH (code WZ) (Max torque 7267)

15528963-LH (code GK) (Max torque 8615)

15528964-RH (code GK) (Max torque 8615)

15528965-LH (code GL) (Max torque 8782)

15528966-RH (code GL) (Max torque 8782)

15732338-LH (code XG) (Max torque 9054)

15732339-RH (code XG) (Max torque 9054)

15528959-LH (code GH) (Max torque 7161)

15528960-RH (code GH) (Max torque 7161)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bars in my truck ('03 SS) is YT; if you find out what their rating is please post here, I'm considering going heavier because I have lowered my front suspension.

Mr. P. :)

Keep in mind when you decided to buy another set of tortion bars that there is a chance they may not work for a coule reasons...

The hex ends may not be clocked the same as your current ones and it's possible if the bar is bigger or smaller in diameter that the hex may change size as well.

Keep in mind when you decided to buy another set of tortion bars that there is a chance they may not work for a coule reasons...

The hex ends may not be clocked the same as your current ones and it's possible if the bar is bigger or smaller in diameter that the hex may change size as well.

I will look into that further. From memory I thought the t-bars were all alike, but my memory has been known to fail me before

I will look into that further. From memory I thought they were all alike, but my memory has been known to fail me before

If I can remember I can check tomorrow at work since we have some HD lowering keys and I have my stock keys laying around somewhere.

I will look into that further. From memory I thought they were all alike, but my memory has been known to fail me before

If I can remember I can check tomorrow at work since we have some HD lowering keys and I have my stock keys laying around somewhere.

thanks, that would be sweet :thumbs:

The bars in my truck ('03 SS) is YT; if you find out what their rating is please post here, I'm considering going heavier because I have lowered my front suspension.

15072933-LH (code YT) (Max torque 7267)

15072934-RH (code YT) (Max torque 7267)

15072933-LH (code YT) (Max torque 7267)

15072934-RH (code YT) (Max torque 7267)

Then they are the same as the WZ??? What gets those? So Mr P is looking for your tortion bars! I would like to try this if they fit. Length may also be an issue with changing tortion bars, probably not as much as diameter though. Although Mr P if his style HD tortion bars will fit in your truck you are going to have to drop it even more I would think since they are going to be stiffer. What is in an HD with the D-Max? I would think a heavier bar because the d-max weighs more than a big block chevy by like 100lbs or more.

EDIT: If you could get a heavier tortion bar to work correctly in a 2wd SS or a VHO you could greatly benifit from it with weight transfer and a set of cal tracs!!!

good reading, if these bars would allow me to go lower i think i would be interested also, but isnt the thing from lowering a awd ss more is the angle of the half shaft?

good reading, if these bars would allow me to go lower i think i would be interested also, but isnt the thing from lowering a awd ss more is the angle of the half shaft?

Without trying it and the more I think about it a heavier tortion bar wouldn't work in a 1/2 ton that you wanna keep lowered because it would almost half to lift it because you would need more weight to be as low as you are now. I also wouldn't see any benifit from it in an AWD truck.

Well, here's what I'm thinking -

1) I've got lowering keys + spindles already, and I'm only 2.5" dropped so I've got plenty of 'key' to play with still;

2) lowering the truck reduces the angle of the lower control arm in relation to the ground, this in turn means that the LCA can exert more leverage on the spring, I think this explains the spongier ride in a lowered torsion bar equipped truck;

3) since the rubber snubbers have been cut there is now no more 'progressive damping', now the truck has a true linear spring response not a progressive spring response;

4) I like to drive FAST, and the front of the truck is heaving at speeds > 95mph - I think it needs more spring rate up front to begin with and now with the LCA being able to exert more leverage it just makes it that much worse. The truck feels like a 70's land yacht with blown shocks at speed;

5) I'm already committed to buying a set of CalTracs;

5) I like an aggressive ride anyway.

So I'm investigating increasing the front spring rate, this also means custom shocks but I've pretty much resigned myself to that anyway with the lowering, I don't expect to get away with anything less than all-out QA-1s.

Just thinking....

anyone know how we would get the valving on a good set of shocks for a lowered ride? i conteacted chp to see if they could get me the valving on there bilsteins but no luck. I know if i can get the proper valving i can get a custom set of shocks made , and i agree i would like a stiffer ride too!

Then they are the same as the WZ??? What gets those? So Mr P is looking for your tortion bars! I would like to try this if they fit. Length may also be an issue with changing tortion bars, probably not as much as diameter though. Although Mr P if his style HD tortion bars will fit in your truck you are going to have to drop it even more I would think since they are going to be stiffer. What is in an HD with the D-Max? I would think a heavier bar because the d-max weighs more than a big block chevy by like 100lbs or more.

EDIT: If you could get a heavier tortion bar to work correctly in a 2wd SS or a VHO you could greatly benifit from it with weight transfer and a set of cal tracs!!!

Remember that the FoMoCo torsion bar keys are interchangeable as well.

Archived