what is the torsion bar code for SSS's?

moregrip

If I can remember I can check tomorrow at work since we have some HD lowering keys and I have my stock keys laying around somewhere.

did you happen to remember?

what I'll probably end up doing first, is taking some tension off my torsion bars to see how that feels.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If I can remember I can check tomorrow at work since we have some HD lowering keys and I have my stock keys laying around somewhere.

what I'll probably end up doing first, is taking some tension off my torsion bars to see how that feels.

Sorry I totally forgot man things have been kinda crazy lately, I'll see what I can do.

Sorry I totally forgot man things have been kinda crazy lately, I'll see what I can do.

no worries bro, if you get around to it that will be sweet, but certainly no hurry

anyone else willing to crawl under their truck to see what torion bar code they have? I was hoping to get a few inputs :cheers:

This is from Mr. P the second post in this thread. :dunno:

The bars in my truck ('03 SS) is YT; if you find out what their rating is please post here, I'm considering going heavier because I have lowered my front suspension.

Mr. P. 

anyone else willing to crawl under their truck to see what torion bar code they have? I was hoping to get a few inputs :cheers:

This is from Mr. P the second post in this thread. :dunno:

The bars in my truck ('03 SS) is YT; if you find out what their rating is please post here, I'm considering going heavier because I have lowered my front suspension.

Mr. P. 

thanks, totally got that, just wanted a few more responses, to get some sort of consensus :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...
so far I have two conformed YT codes and it looks like the T-bars are the same length on the SS and 3/4ton applications, about 4' 7"......

I measure the T-bar Hex at about 1 3/4"

I did a little research at work and it looks as if they are all interchangeable you just need to figure out exactly what you wanna use.

so far I have two conformed YT codes and it looks like the T-bars are the same length on the SS and 3/4ton applications, about 4' 7"......

I did a little research at work and it looks as if they are all interchangeable you just need to figure out exactly what you wanna use.

that's good news. maybe you can help me with this next question......I think this can be answered in theory only but here it is:

Would relaxing my current tb's yeild the same effect as installing the YT's(next spring down)?

I have heard relaxing tb's too much is dangerous...

lastly, what color keys come on the SS's?

that's good news. maybe you can help me with this next question......I think this can be answered in theory only but here it is:

Would relaxing my current tb's yeild the same effect as installing the YT's(next spring down)?

lastly, what color keys come on the SS's?

Well first your truck has purple keys correct? If so installing SS keys will only lift it. As far as relaxing you mean turning some adjustment out of them? I couldn't say weather or not it would have the same effect as the yt's but I don't see why it would be dangerous? Is this because when you turn them down far enough you can jack up the front of your truck and have them be lose? If this is the reasoning I have thought about this as well but I never plan on getting air in my truck either, if you were to get enough air for them to be lose you would have to hit something while in the air moving forward hard enough to dislodge the t-bar and have it slide out the front of your controll arm. If this ever happends you have much more to worry about than your tortion bar comming out.

No, turning the adjustment bolt does not change the spring rate. Think of the adjustment bolt/keys/pork chop as a weight jack. It will change the height of the vehicle by changing the angle of attack of the spring, but the spring will retain almost exactly the same stored energy with minor differences for weight shift (front end goes down, it will carry ever so slightly more weight). Unless you lower it enough to rest on the bumpstops, your springs will have the same stiffness as before.

No, turning the adjustment bolt does not change the spring rate. Think of the adjustment bolt/keys/pork chop as a weight jack. It will change the height of the vehicle by changing the angle of attack of the spring, but the spring will retain almost exactly the same stored energy with minor differences for weight shift (front end goes down, it will carry ever so slightly more weight). Unless you lower it enough to rest on the bumpstops, your springs will have the same stiffness as before.

Actually you would be wrong. The reason is because the tortion bars have preload on them from the factory which makes them act stiffer than they really are. When you release the preload then the spring will be softer once the preload is released then yes it will have the same spring rate at any other ride height. Your ride will soften a bit but not much to make enough of a difference IMO.

I did a lot of research into torsion bars and spring rates when I was looking at lower my Avalanche. The definitive answers I got were:

- Whenever you adjust torsion bars, you change their spring rate

- You cannot adjust or change height without also changing spring rate

- Changing via keys or bolts is irrelevant, both change height and spring rate

Anyway, don't know if this helps, but I thought I would offer what I found.

thanks guys, my question isn't so much spring rate related, as it is related to relieving more tension than is safe. It's my understanding that a certain amount of TB tension is needed to be safe and for the spring to function correctly. If true, I would only have so much room to play with before it would make more sense(safety wise) to step down to the next lighter spring to maintain the min required amount of tension to stay safe. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

thanks guys, my question isn't so much spring rate related, as it is related to relieving more tension than is safe. It's my understanding that a certain amount of TB tension is needed to be safe and for the spring to function correctly. If true, I would only have so much room to play with before it would make more sense(safety wise) to step down to the next lighter spring to maintain the min required amount of tension to stay safe. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Whats the min. required amount of tension?

Archived